My husband is going to kill me... pico journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

umramgirl86

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so I have a 20 gallon planted freshwater tank as well as a beta tank. I've been reading a lot about pico reef tanks, and I'd love to start one. My husband does not share my passion and thinks I should just be happy with my two tanks, but as most if you fish enthusiasts know, it's a hobby and I want more!

I've thought about getting a 5-6 gallon tank, sand and live rock to start. I know I have to cycle the tank and I know I can't really put any fish in (except maybe a goby or shrimp) and I'm okay with that as I am mostly building toward a reef and then after I get experience, I will do a bigger one with fish layer. But, as I am a beginner, I don't know what else I need. What do I need to get to get started? This will be a slow process. I hope to pick up my equipment tonight and my live rock next week. Any help I can get is well appreciated. Stay tuned if you want to see pictures as I progress...

No you wouldn't need a skimmer just regular water changes. Just know with a tank that small it going to be hard for someone with no reefing experience to keep healthy. I wouldn't recommend starting with anything less than a 20g. But that being said its all up to you and how dedicated and disciplined you are with water changes and maintenance.

Oh and to get started your would need live rock, sand,heater,the smallest power head you can find ,salt mix ;hydrometer/refractometer, reef test kit. and a light capable of supporting corals there are some nice small clip on LED"s that would be ideal.

You could probably loose the power head and get a small hob filer and take the media out fill it with live rock rubble and stash your heater in it

I'm trying to decide on the right tank. Has anyone ever built a reef in a round pillar tank?

Would not recommend such a small tank. With SW "bigger is better" b/c not only is the maintenance hard to keep up w/ in a small tank to get the parameters correct, but your mistakes are not "forgiven". With a larger tank you will have more room for error, which will happen as a beginner (or more advanced). For example, salinity will be tough keeping at a constant level when the water is always evaporating. When SW evaporates, the salt is left behind raising the salinity, so FW must be added to drop it down. In say a 100 gallon the salinity doesn't fluactuate a lot if you're topping it off, but in a pico or nano it's pretty difficult (at first). Not saying it can't be done, but it's pretty difficult if you don't have any experience. Also picos are too small for most fish, but inverts are more sensitive than fish so that's something else to take into account. I'd recommend at least 10 gallons and a HOB aquaclear filter (0r other brand) and a powerhead as equipment. Do you want corals, if so, this makes getting the parameters correct, more important and there will be the cost of a good light. Whatever you decide we'll be here to help :D

Would not recommend such a small tank. With SW "bigger is better" b/c not only is the maintenance hard to keep up w/ in a small tank to get the parameters correct, but your mistakes are not "forgiven". With a larger tank you will have more room for error, which will happen as a beginner (or more advanced). For example, salinity will be tough keeping at a constant level when the water is always evaporating. When SW evaporates, the salt is left behind raising the salinity, so FW must be added to drop it down. In say a 100 gallon the salinity doesn't fluactuate a lot if you're topping it off, but in a pico or nano it's pretty difficult (at first). Not saying it can't be done, but it's pretty difficult if you don't have any experience. Also picos are too small for most fish, but inverts are more sensitive than fish so that's something else to take into account. I'd recommend at least 10 gallons and a HOB aquaclear filter (0r other brand) and a powerhead as equipment. Do you want corals, if so, this makes getting the parameters correct, more important and there will be the cost of a good light. Whatever you decide we'll be here to help :D

I agree but disagree it depends on the persons ability to keep a routine. If you can then it doesn't mater but if you arnt ten it does. I have a 4g and its a lot of work but I love the work. And the work is much easier then my 75g a water change is 1/4th of a gallon in comparison to 15-20g. Cleaning it takes me 25secs. Cleaning my 75g takes me 20mins. Doing top off my 4g is twice a day. My 75g is twice a week (filling up my ATo) it really depends. I do a much work on my 75g as my 4g but if you make a poor batch of salt or forget to top off a small tank things can get really bad. But same in any system. They're I'd less room for error but also less at stake in a 4g then in a larger tank.

I agree but disagree it depends on the persons ability to keep a routine. If you can then it doesn't mater but if you arnt ten it does. I have a 4g and its a lot of work but I love the work. And the work is much easier then my 75g a water change is 1/4th of a gallon in comparison to 15-20g. Cleaning it takes me 25secs. Cleaning my 75g takes me 20mins. Doing top off my 4g is twice a day. My 75g is twice a week (filling up my ATo) it really depends. I do a much work on my 75g as my 4g but if you make a poor batch of salt or forget to top off a small tank things can get really bad. But same in any system. They're I'd less room for error but also less at stake in a 4g then in a larger tank.

I pretty much agree that it's all up to how much work one is willing to put into the system, but didn't you have a reef aquarium before your 4 gallon nano? I'm just trying to say it's much easier to know what to expect when setting up a nano after doing a larger tank first. You'll know what mistakes to avoid/or how to prevent them instead of not knowing what to look for and not doing anything. I'd say the fast water changes are definitely a tremendous benefit especially b/c I have to make/haul 15 gallons of water up and down the stairs for my 70 gallon tank, but what a great workout routine! :lol:

I pretty much agree that it's all up to how much work one is willing to put into the system, but didn't you have a reef aquarium before your 4 gallon nano? I'm just trying to say it's much easier to know what to expect when setting up a nano after doing a larger tank first. You'll know what mistakes to avoid/or how to prevent them instead of not knowing what to look for and not doing anything. I'd say the fast water changes are definitely a tremendous benefit especially b/c I have to make/haul 15 gallons of water up and down the stairs for my 70 gallon tank, but what a great workout routine! :lol:

This is true and point taken, im sure it is easier having the 4g after learning from my 25g reef taht i started the hobby with, then i bilt the 75g reef, then a 40g tank, so that is very true and I wasnt thinking of it in that manner i guess. Also i know what you mean with the water changes, my 75g is 2 floors away from my water source.

Well, I really appreciate all of the input so far, but maybe I should first start with the reasons I want a pico reef.

1. I've heard people say that it is just as expensive to do a small tank as it is to do a big tank, but I just don't see how it's possible. When buying live rock and stuff, wouldn't it be much cheaper to buy 6 pounds than 20 pounds?

2. I am pretty good with routine. I love taking on new hobbies and I love learning. My idea was to ease into this one step at a time. I was going to start with live rock and be interested to see if any creatures came out if it. Then I was going to add some shrimp to watch. Then add easy corals, etc.

3. Wouldn't it be much better for me to get a small one and be horrible at it and give up saltwater and just be out the money I spent for a 5 gallon than be out everything I spend for a big one?

4. Space. My husband does not share my passion for fish, so I have my tanks in a spare bedroom, and there is just not room for a huge one.

With all of that being said, I really want to start with a pico, and I'm just going to hope it goes well.

So, to get started, I need a
Tank
1 lb of sand per gallon
1 lb of rock per gallon
1 power head (small)
Reef test kit
Hydrometer
Thermometer
small heater
Salt mix

Is there anything else I need to start? I don't have a LFS near me that sells salt equipment, so this part is going to take me a while, because most I am going to have to order (plus it may be cheaper if I'm patient and find this stuff online)

Also, I saw a posting on Craigslist of a person with a 6 gallon fluval edge for $45!!! I'm hoping they still have it. However, if it doesn't work out, is a cylinder tank good for a pico reef, or should I go with something cubed?

Just make sure u get a highoutput for lights so that your coral will grow and the nano reef i think thats a great idea dont let anyone tell u you cant iam also starting a 10 gallon reef right now for the first time

hellaasian said:
Just make sure u get a highoutput for lights so that your coral will grow and the nano reef i think thats a great idea dont let anyone tell u you cant iam also starting a 10 gallon reef right now for the first time

How much output should I get for a 10 gallon or smaller?

I would get an evolve 8, they are about 6 gallons in water volume, you save money because you dont have to buy a power head becauseu they have one built in. they are great little tanks and all you need to do if you get one is.

Buy sand (only if you want to sand is no needed in a tank)

Buy Rock (you dont need 1lb per gallon you can use how ever much or little as you want.)

Buy a light that will grow coral. Most of us use a Par 38 it seems like but there are other options

Heres the Par 38 Bulb I use you just screw it into a regular light fixture so you can choose to buy a clip on one from the same supplier as the light or find a different alternative.

CleverBs said:
Heres the Par 38 Bulb I use you just screw it into a regular light fixture so you can choose to buy a clip on one from the same supplier as the light or find a different alternative.

Perfect! Thank you!

Hope you get the deal from craigslist! Might want to see if you can drop the price b/c usually people are willing to negotiate.

Well, I haven't heard from the Craigslist people yet. Anyone ever tried making a glass one? I'd really like a rimless glass aquarium. Anyone ever found a plan for one that also includes a glass lid of some sort? If so, I'd appreciate the link.

Also, if I made an 8 gallon aquarium and eventually got corals, do you think I could do without the power head, as someone suggested, and just do an hob filter with live rubble instead of the filter. If so, what size filter would I need to provide enough flow?

Back
Top Bottom