My new Oceanic Biocube 14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davegoz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got the tank as a Christmas gift and finally ordered the stand, a heater, live sand, hydrometer, reef salt and heater from Dr Fosters & Smith. They should be here Thursday; ice storm permitting..

Talked with someone at the LFS the other day and she suggested the live sand and live rock, but said live rock rubble wasn't really necessary for that size tank and that it just broke down and makes a mess in the filter. She also said that I really didn't need to get a protein skimmer right away since I was cycling and to get the tank setup with the bio-balls and live sand first. Fill with water and run 24-48 hours with a few base starter rocks (non-live) and to make sure my pH and salinity readings were adjusted properly; and to bring a water sample for them to test before adding fish. (I think I may just get some premixed water that they have at the LFS instead of trying to mix my own the first time around.)

She suggested some damsels for starter fish (3-4) and let the ammo cycle spike, then add the live rock for the nitrate cycle. Once the cycle was completed, I could trade in some/all of the damsels and get a clown or gobies and a cleanup crew. She said that once the tank was established several months that I could add some soft corals and mushrooms and maybe a colony polyp or two.

I've had freshwater tanks for years, but this is my first saltwater and even though I've done research (Saltwater Fish for Dummies and this website), I'm still a bit nervous about this venture.

Any suggestions/advice are greatly appreciated. I will post pictures once I get the tank setup on Friday.

-Dave

Please reconsider that advice.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/3/1/Cycle-your-salt-tank/Page1.html

A fishless cycle is todays accepted practice, please give that a read and post your questions here. The advice you were given was the accepted practice but since then trends have turned to avoiding buying cycle fish. The chemicals released during a cycle are toxic, which puts the fish in major stress or worse.

Okay thanks. It does seem a MUCH cheaper (and less traumatic) alternative. What's your opinion on the LRR in the filter?

I am for it, i use LRR in my HOB filter and most will tend to agree rubble over bio balls. I have read that bio balls eventually become nitrate factories. I can't say for sure since i've never owned them but thats what i have been reading on the forums.

I know I'm a long way off from corals, but what types should I be thinking about? I was told by the LFS that softs and mushrooms were my main choices. Any suggestions?
I've got 24W 10k daylight and 24W Actinic 03 Blue lights.

Yeah, I've decided to go with the LRR instead of the Bioballs. Should I wait until the ammo spike before adding LR to the tank? I'm going to go the fishless cycle route and stop by the local seafood counter this weekend.

I agree with using the LRR in the filter. The more natural your filtration method the better you tank is going to be. Rubble will do a better job for your tank and if you are going the coral route then the bio balls are not a great option.

Well, everything arrived today and I got the frozen raw shrimp last night, so I'm going to set it up this weekend. Can I add the LR when I do initial setup, or should I wait until the ammo spike? I've decided to get my premixed water from the LFS this go-around and will eventually get a RO filter (any suggestions appreciated).

Hi Dave, I believe you can do both, you can add the LR and drop the shrimp at the same time, kill 2 birds with one stone :)

I think it would depends on the quality of the live rock, and where your getting it from. If you have hitchhikers you would want to wait for the spike. If your ordering the rock to be shipped, it will need to be cured no matter what they say so bawel is right.

It is Fiji cured LR according to the LFS.

I ended up working today, so going to go get it on Tuesday; the tank and stand are all set up.

Got it setup last night with about 14lb Fiji LR (complete with 2 crab guests) and it looks like there are 2 coral frags (1/4" ea) and a very small anemone on the big rock!

I took pictures this morning before work and will post them tonight. I need to get more LRR for the filter (its only half full) and will get some more LR when $ permits.

Going to check water tonight and then its raw shrimp time! :)

It your putting in 100% cured live rock you probably won't have to cycle your tank with a shrimp. The bacteria is already grown on the rock, that's what makes it "live". I would put in a heathly portion of food and give it a day to break down and then check your water. It should be mostly cycled except for maybe a little mini cycle caused by die off on the LR.

Okay, I will throw some food in when I get home. I have to feed the crabs anyway! :)

Then I can save the shrimp for me to eat.. :-o

Regardless of which way you do it, keep a close eye on your level and make sure both ammonia and nitrites are at zero before you add anything

keep an eye on the readings and be prepared to do water changes. 20% weekly make it a goal. Congrats on getting everything together.

Here are a few pictures-
19861-albums395-picture2579.jpg

19861-albums395-picture2580.jpg

19861-albums395-picture2581.jpg

19861-albums395-picture2582.jpg

19861-albums395-picture2583.jpg

Back
Top Bottom