My tank now and can anyone ID this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unless it's ppm then you have got to raise it a bit, Tell us which way you are reading the gauge, Do you have a refractometer or a hydrometer?

Ok here are my readings:
Salinity: 30 (1.022)
Amonea: 0
Nitrate: 20
Nitrite: 0
Alkalinity: 300
pH: 8.4

I need a better test system this is using the paper strips.

Thanks for the help.

Hydrometer. I am looking into the refractometer, but for now using the Hydrometer. I was debating on pushing it a little higher, but I thought with the evaporation the salinity would jump up to fast and had no idea what that would do to the tank inhabitants.

I knew I was forgetting something. I have a thermometer in there and it is reading in the green I want to say 70 or 80 degrees. I know that is a huge difference but it is in that area I know. I have a 15w heater and before that the light heated it enough.

On such a small tank, evaporation is a big problem. I would put a piece of electrical tape at the normal water level of your tank so that at a glance you can see if the water level is correct and add fresh water as needed.

TC,

Already ahead of you there, I have a spot on my tank that when it gets to that point Itest the salinity and add water. I do this every 3 to 4 days. thanks for the heads up on that though.

I got tired of that real fast and now use and ATO (automatic top off) by bulkreefsupply.com

Well I am trying to do as much DIY stuff as I can and since this is such a small tank and a learn in process kind of thing as much as I can learn on the way the better. I will hold off on the easy way for a bit longer to help me learn more as I go.
So anyway I got my CUC today. I got 4 Hermit Crabs, and an Emerald crab. While I was adding them in I noticed I had something else that has to have been in the tank since I got my LR. I seem to have had a starfish in there. I saw it on my heater tonight. I maybe a bit to excited about it but hey it was cool to see.
I am going to hold off about 2 weeks to get anything else for the tank (if I decide to add anything else at all to this one) and get working on my larger tank. I am debating the size and shape now which I will go into in one of my other blogs on here.

Thank you all for the help you have given so far. I hope you will all give advise as I continue this process.

Well here is something maybe you guys can help with, I am looking into making a canopy for my upcoming tank. I have found a few T5 fixtures and I have found a few not specificly for aquariums. I am curiouse if the T5 fixtures at found at Lowe's and Home Depot will work with the T5 HO bulbs.

I think not, but you have to check on the fixture because it will state what type of bulbs it takes. It shoud state the wattage of the bulbd. ie a 4' fixture for HO would state 54W bulbs,etc. I can't recall the other sizes, but you can just find your size and cross reference the HO lamps for it with the ones at Lowes and Home Depot.

Last edited:
TC,

Thanks for that. I wasn't sure if they could handle the HO or not. I did however find a couple other lights I like on line and am thinking of going that route instead. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom