My tank stinks!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reidam2317

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just purchased a 24 gallon nano with a HQI light. I am trying to cure 20lbs of live rock in it. There is only one problem, IT STINKS. I have a heater set up and the filter that came with the tank. I was told to leave the light off. This is my first time with a saltwater tank and curing live rock. Any suggestions on how to make things not smell so bad or any advice on how to cure this stuff?

Unfortanetly, curing liverock does stink! Some water changes should help a lot. If you haven't already done so, mix up some saltwater and let it sit and aerate for a while (with a powerhead and heater) and do a water change. Should help a little bit though it won't cure the problem by any means.

The stink you are smelling is die off, which means that the rock is curing and when it's all said and done your tank will be cycled, so look on the bright side. :)

Welcome to AA, btw.

Water changes will help.

I have never cured rock myself, but I wonder if running a bag of carbon would help with the smell?

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
As mentioned, curing the LR is a stinky process. It should clear up in a week or so. Turn some fans on in the room and open some windows in the meantime.

Back
Top Bottom