Nano cube refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HairlessPotter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm trying to decide if I should make a refugium in the second filter chamber. I already have a skimmer but I could put that in the third chamber and have both. The only problem is I don't wanna add a sandbed because I don't want to affect the cycle by taking out the sponge, and where the water comes through is pretty low anyway. But I could add liverock and chaeto then get a light for it. Would that work? I mainly want it to keep algae out of display.

You should be cleaning out that filter sponge with every water change to take out any detrius and other things thatg might be in it. Its not going to hurt your cycle by cleaning it out. Unless you clean it with tap water then it will add bad stuff to the water. Just use RODI or some spare saltwater to clean it. Otherwise it will break down in the sponge into nitrate and have no where to go.

In the middle chamber just to chaeto if you main purpose is to reduce algae in the DT. Just make sure to give it a light to grow.

What skimmer are you running?

Not to be mean or anything but that skimmer is junk. Its usually sold to noobs because the LFS and the biocube company know that a beginner reefer has prob read that a good coral tank needs a skimmer. If your only doing beginner coral (softies and a few LPS, no acro) you can get away with no skimmer as long as you keep the bio load down and do your weekly 10% and monthly 20%. If you really want a skimmer that works and is affordable check out the hydor slim skim or eshopps HOB PSK-75.

Ya I know they aren't very good but I didn't buy it, it came with the tank for free. And seems to pull an alright amount of crap out

So in the middle chamber could I just get rid of the sponge at the bottom and do a refugium with a sandbed? Then leave sponges in first chamber but clean them out and skimmer in third chamber. Should I take out carbon bag?

My friend has that skimmer on his tank and has it adjusted perfectly and it really does do a lot of skimming. I have a reef octopus on my 55 and the skim mate is just as dark and smelly as his. I really think it all has to do with keeping the air stone changed and the pump.

HairlessPotter said:
So in the middle chamber could I just get rid of the sponge at the bottom and do a refugium with a sandbed? Then leave sponges in first chamber but clean them out and skimmer in third chamber. Should I take out carbon bag?

Ya you could do that, if you do the sand make sure it's a DSB otherwise you'll create more nitrates in the long run. Also the sand could potentially cause an issue of water not being able to pass through it. Instead of sand do a filter floss. In my LFS they sell a floss that removes phosphates and one that has carbon in it. As to how well that works I'm not too sure. I would keep your carbon in. Are you running pre packed carbon or media bags with carbon?

Ok I just don't wanna have to pull out all the stuff in the refugium to clean the sponge every week. And I'm using carbon in a media bag

You can make a custom filter media rack for the slot with 1/4" egg crate and zip ties. Just make a shelve for whatever you want to put on it. Mine has 3 shelves one for my carbon, next is for my chemipure elite and the last has filter floss but you can put w/e you want in it or build it however you want. Just need some heavy duty scissors or wire cutters and zip ties

I'm unsure whether it would be possible but maybe fit an algae turf scrubber somewhere

Have you looked at this website before? i have a small fuge in my biocube and bought the trays to make it easier. I just keep macro algae so far but it might work for you.

Nano Cube 28

Have you looked at this website before? i have a small fuge in my biocube and bought the trays to make it easier. I just keep macro algae so far but it might work for you.

Nano Cube 28

I got one used and love it! Makes my aquapod actually a lot better tank. they are worth the money that is for sure.

^

You say you have it on the aqua pod. Does it fit in any of the 4 chambers in the back?

^

You say you have it on the aqua pod. Does it fit in any of the 4 chambers in the back?
I have in the last area where the water intake is. It does a very nice job of making the tank much more user friendly.

I have a custom made one out o egg crate in the third chamber before the return pump chamber. The first and second chambers are used because of the skimmer

Back
Top Bottom