Nano filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have not had any algae problems in my Nano until now. The dreaded hair algae, not too bad yet. The tank has been up for 9 mos. Should I remove the mechanical filter that is included with the tank. I have done this in advance until one of you experts tell me otherwise. I just thought this would be a good Nitrate collector based on what I have read here so far.

Best thing for a nano is usually LR/sand only. All the small tanks I have had always ended up with either hair or snot algae using any type of media 24/7. Usually I just use something to polish the water weekly but that's it. It is also extremely important to have good water flow and keep up with water changes religiously. Even though things may "look great", any shifts in chem (pH primarily) can cause some nasty algae issues. I would also not attempt to keep the temp above 80º depending on the waste load.

Cheers
Steve

I rinse the sponges every time I do a water change. I suppose you could chuck them altogether if you wanted to.

My algae exploded when I added additional lights, but after 1 month or so, things are looking way better. My little red-legged hermits are doing a wonderful job as well.

I just use something to polish the water weekly but that's it.
Do you use GAC for polishing? I have about 12-15lb LR and 2" LS. Was working fine until now. My temp has been running high though. I tried propping the hood open, but only dropped a little. I am going to be doing the fan mod like everyone else seems to have done. Have plenty of snails and hermits and a lettuce nudi, but they don't seem to be keeping up.
any shifts in chem (pH primarily) can cause some nasty algae issues.
I think this is the problem :wink:
Thanks,
Paul

I use a polyfilter. It doesn't accomplish the same thing as carbon but does the job. As far as the heat, I replaced the stock lid with eggcrate and set the heater a bit lower, worked for me. Not sure what lights uo have on your 12 gal?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom