Nano filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

E-rock

Aquarium Advice Activist
I everyone I am new to the nano part of the reef world. And I am think about setting up a nano cube tank havent decided between the 40 or the 24 cube at my lfs. But I was wondering what everyone uses on their tanks for filtration: sump, canister, hob, skimmer? I have a fluval 305 and a marineland 200 laying around I was thinking of using? Thoughts?

I think most people would agree that a sump is the best. I use a hang on back aquaclear 50 on my 29 gallon. I've heard canisters turn into nitrate factories unless they are cleaned all the time. Any mechanical filtration like floss will make nitrates unless changed frequently. I don't have a skimmer and the only problem ive had is 10 nitrates with weekly water changes which isn't a big deal for me. My corals don't seem to care at all.

Noise is honestly my biggest concern as this tank will be going in my room. I know my 90 gallon with a sump makes way to much noise. I have seen some tanks with the built in filter wall. Not sure what they are actual called. But I always wondered where people get them. I think they would be a bit quieter than an actual overflow. Do lfs sell them or do people buy them online?

There are ways to silence sumps. I'm sure about hang on overflows though. There's tons of stuff if you google silent aquarium overflow though. The tanks with the built in filtration are called AIO or all in one

I have an all in one 29g biocube and really like it. The only thing I had to add was a powerhead and heater. :)

I did however buy a filter media rack to put in place of the bioballs in the back and it makes media changes and maintenance a breeze.

I also have tanks that run hang on back filters and even a fluval 305 on a 55g tank. It's just a matter of making sure you clean them out frequently.

I have considered the bio cubes but I kinda like the corners of a glass cube tank. Hmmm I have to do some research. what would you run in fluval if I wanted to go reef?

I was running carbon, filter floss pads and biomedia in my trays. Nothing fancy at all. lol ocassionally i would run GFO if I had some phosphate issues. I did weekly water changes of about 12g a week though and cleaned out the filter say every two weeks. I was running 0 nitrates and all my coral and fish did really well.

It's all about how much effort you wanna put into it. :)

The biocube does have glass corners that are rounded actually. There are also JBJ nano cubes as well.

Here is a new tank design that I just saw

Innovative Marine 16 Gallon Nano Aquarium w/ 2 x 8 Watt 14000K Skkye Light Clamp LED Light

Just as an idea. That site has alot of good ideas for smaller tanks so take a look around and see if they have what you are interested in.

Back
Top Bottom