Nano lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michealprater

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is there a place that sells eclipse tanks with powercompact lights already retrofited in the hood. I researched and was not having any luck. I would like to start a nano for raising xenia. Any help is appreciated.

i haven't seen any either i was looking for something for school to just raise a few frags but so far, no luck! so if you find one let me know.

What size of nano are you wanting to set up? I believe the azoo 7 gallon bow front has adequate lighting for coral and it has a built in sump.

I think 7 gallons would be fine for xenia. Got a link. BTW, its nice to see local reefers responding to my threads! :p

www.hellolights.com under their retrofit kits have some small kits that might fit in an eclypse system.

I know peole have used them for nano reefs so there must be a kit out there somewhere for the eclipse hoods.

I was kinda looking for a tank with the light already retrofited in its hood. Thanks, Ill keep that in mind if I end up having to do it my self.

prater, why not use the ug filter that comes with that system? what about a skimmer would you put one on there.

UGF's are nitrate factories. They pull all the waste to the bottom of the tank and send your nitrates through the roof. I would probably run it skimmerless, like I do on my 20 gallon. Water changes remove enough waste.

What about a 10g with an Eclipse hood? Custom Sealife (www.championlighting.com) makes PC retro kits for these hoods. They are supposed to fit right in and use an external ballast. If you decide to DIY, I can give you the model # of a ballast you can get at Home Depot for $20 that will run 2 28w PC's. Save some $$$ that way. Ah Supply has some self ballasted 13w PC's. Thier 2x13 bright kit is about $15. They also have 50/50 bulbs in 13w. I believe they are 10000k/actinic.
Just a thought.
Logan J

We should add a "how to" category in the links section and put stuff like this in there.

Well. Take a look. ;) Just added it so lets all post some good How to and DIY links up there so its not empty for long. :)

That looks like a good retro kit. The only thing I can add is that the end plugs for the bulbs are available from www.il-solutions.com for about $4 each. They also have the bulb clips. That would be cheaper than buying a ballast and tossing it after cutting the plugs off. Any electronic ballast for 2 32w T-8 bulbs will run these PC's.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom