Nano Protein Skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quaqa88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Are there any efficient protein skimmers on the market that are made to skim tanks of about 10 gallons? I was looking into getting the RIO Nano Skimmer because I like that it can fit outside the tank rather than take up room in the tank. Is it any good? I want a skimmer that is actually going to be efficient and remove wastes from my tank, rather than a useless one (I do not want to waste money). Thanks for any replies!

Most, if not all nano skimmers are junk and a waste of time and money. You have no need for a skimmer on that size tank any way as a simple weekly PWC will accomplish the same thing.

Most, if not all nano skimmers are junk and a waste of time and money. You have no need for a skimmer on that size tank any way as a simple weekly PWC will accomplish the same thing.

Could not have said it any better.

not to threadjack, but are the surface skimmer attachments that are made for fluval canister filters and aquaclear filters benefitcal? I think a protein skimmer would be overkill, but this would at least skim the surface of the water?

in a nano tank if you have enough LR, 6kg LR for 15galons is what i have (thats enough right), would you not need a skimmer? and/or a mechanical filter? if you need neither how do you create flow for corals that like it??

so the filtering would be done totally by my LR and then i could replace the mechanical filter with a powerhead? or would u suggest just leaving the filter seen as its already there? will it affect the amonia if i take the filter out??

In a nano tank, the correct amount of live rock(1.5-2lbs/gallon), with weekly water changes, will take care of all the filtration that your tank needs, just as thom said in the second post in this thread.

You can choose to take the filter out, or leave it there. It won't really benefit you in any way and it won't affect your ammonia levels if you've properly cycled your tank beforehand, so my suggestion is to remove it if it's taking up space in your tank. Your choice.

yeah my tank is cycled, im still kinda planning and being patient with stuff so i have no fish in there yet.
thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom