Nano reef build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropicallie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Got a six gallon tank this weekend! After work today I'm gonna get some sand water and live rock to begin the cycle! Do the lights look okay? I plan on having coral.

Attachments

• image-1449898720.jpg
    image-1449898720.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 155
What's the voltage on the light? Is it a spit light? Nit sure if that filter will do the trick... What is the media in there? You will probably need a small wavemaker or power head to get a good water flow in the tank...

Craigj247 said:
What's the voltage on the light? Is it a spit light? Nit sure if that filter will do the trick... What is the media in there? You will probably need a small wavemaker or power head to get a good water flow in the tank...

I'm not sure what a split light is and it doesn't say the voltage anywhere but it literally lights up my whole room when it's on. I just put ten pounds of live sand at the bottom and it looks like it's about two inches deep. The filter came with the tank and it is sold as a saltwater tank. Once all the sand settles out of the water I'll post another picture

Ok super try and keep your sand bed to about 1 inch cause you will have too much of bacteria breeding on your sand bed. You should be able to take the filter a part... Since you will have to clean it at least once a month anyway...

Craigj247 said:
Ok super try and keep your sand bed to about 1 inch cause you will have too much of bacteria breeding on your sand bed. You should be able to take the filter a part... Since you will have to clean it at least once a month anyway...

It is takeapartable! I will get a power head soon! And about the sand: I'm planning on getting a yellow watchman and pistol shrimp so I'm worried they won't have enough room to dig.

Na don't worry I have a watchman goby and tiger shrimp in my tank too... It will be worse if your tank gets too much bacteria in there cause too much bacteria will cause loads of nitrates and then algae... I suffered with the issue and once it starts it is super hard to get rid of...

Craigj247 said:
Na don't worry I have a watchman goby and tiger shrimp in my tank too... It will be worse if your tank gets too much bacteria in there cause too much bacteria will cause loads of nitrates and then algae... I suffered with the issue and once it starts it is super hard to get rid of...

It's actually like one and a quarter inches. Is that an issue?

Craigj247 said:
Lol :) that is fine then :) keep the pics coming.. It is a nice tank...

I will as soon as the sand settles! I plan on cycling it with fish, either damsels or chromises. Do you have any tips?

I used 2 Damsels to cycle my 28 Gallon and really regret it. After the cycle was over I added other fish and the Damsels were very aggressive and I had to sell them back and it took me about 2 hours to catch them lol nice tank!

Dont cycle with a fish it is too much work, additionally i dont think they should be in a smaller tank. Just drop in 1 mysis cube and it will go just as fast if not faster :)

Just musis shrimp frozen into a cube :) i feed my fish mysis every 3 days or so, its a good food. It will produce ammonia and start your cycle as well! :)

Yeah, dont cycle with a damsel, you will regret it if you ever want to add another fish. Take a couple raw shrimp (or cooked even) and drop them in there and let them rot. Get yourself a test kit and see how things are moving along after about 3-4 weeks you'll be golden. Do a big water change and add whatever you want, but you'll be limited due to your size.

Saratj1 said:
Yeah, dont cycle with a damsel, you will regret it if you ever want to add another fish. Take a couple raw shrimp (or cooked even) and drop them in there and let them rot. Get yourself a test kit and see how things are moving along after about 3-4 weeks you'll be golden. Do a big water change and add whatever you want, but you'll be limited due to your size.

I know I'm limited I already have all of that figured out! I'm just so impatient! How does the rockwork and sand look?

I checked parameters yesterday and they were all perfect so I put some flake food in it to make sure it's actually cycled then I'm checking parameters again today

Back
Top Bottom