Nano reef help!! Beginner 11 gallon cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harrytownend

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an 11 gallon cube with a par38 led bulb, 100w heater, 100 gph hob filter with activated carbon, test kits, marine salt, thermometer, hydrometer, RO/DI UNIT and a 200 gph hydro koralia power head. I also have a bucket with 2 600lph power heads and 100w heater for mixing my saltwater. I will be buying 10lb live sand and getting 10lb live rock from an established tank. Do I need to buy anything else? The hob filter has a built in skimmer so I didn't buy a separate one. Please gives any tips on starting up my tank or anything else I should buy.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I will do. As for cycling the tank, do I just add a raw shrimp and test water regularly? Is my tank small enough to get away with not using a skimmer?

Yes and yes ;). I'd put the shrimp in a filter media bag or pantyhose so getting it out is easier when the time comes.

What fish could I keep? I was planning on a clown but I read that the tank's too small. What would you recommend? I also want a couple of sexy shrimp and some snails.

Would a single possum wrasse and a clean up crew work ok?

You could do more then a possum wrasse. You could add a Firefish or clown goby. I do not recommend putting clowns in a tank this small, but some people do.
The sexys will be fine as well.

I'll add a clown goby. Thanks for all the help :)

Back
Top Bottom