Nano reef tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFanaticSyd

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is the best size for a nano reef tank? I have a 3g acrylic I could convert to reef, wondering if that's too small. Best way to set it up, and can anyone give me a price range for basic reef stuff? I already have the marine supplies, as I have a 25g marine.

While there is no 'best size', I wouldn't try anything under a 10. There are several reasons, but more water means more ability to make mistakes as the larger the water column it simply dilutes what went wrong.
That said, when you are doing a reef tank you want to do it right the first time. It can get pricey. This is especially so with the lighting, when someone will buy a light only wanting to do soft corals and then falling in love with anemone and SPS and needing to buy a whole new light again...which means buy one that can support the most and dial it back if you have to to save in the long run. I'll point you to the taotronics LED panel for the most bang for your buck reef lighting.

If you do it, you absolutely won't be able to have fish. At my lfs he has a couple corals, a light, and a little pump all on a 5 gallon so I don't see why you can do it on a 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Any size is the best size. As long as it's what you prefer. You just have to think about the time and dedication you can provide to the tank.

the smaller the tank makes it harder to keep the water quality stable , with a bigger tank it helps with keeping water quality more stable. it also helps give room for mistakes ,
and will in the long run make your life easier maintaining your tank ,

Another down fall with a 3g is once you add rock theres no room for fish as there are no saltwater fish that will work in any tank under 10g , yes some have done it but does that make it right , it will only add stress to the fish shortening there life span

if you opt to go mostly coral and like a goby/shrimp pair 3 gallons should be fine.
if you do only coral, than water quality issues become much less of a concern as you are not needing to feed anything really.

So, basically, 3 pounds of coral gravel or sand, some reef rock, and a shrimp or goby will work? I have a spare 10 gallon I'm not using but have no heater for it.

I'd do a small piece of live rock and use mostly dry. Due to hitch hicker prevention. Your dry rock will turn live as your tank matures.

Avoid the crushed coral, you'll have all kinds of gunk build up in it. Sand is the way to go.
And as for using a small piece of live rock, you won't get any benefit from it at all. You can go all dry rock and cycle the tank without issues.

Go all dry, I've done it for years and have had less problems. A good quality hob filter (I recommend aqua clear, used them in my nano for years) and proper water changes makes it easier. A nano just needs a little more care to it is all, not that difficult really. Comparing my 10g to a low stock 75g, my 75g is a lot less effort to maintain. Good light for a variety of corals and keep stock as light as possible. The only fish I recommend for that small of a tank is 1 neon goby.

Personally I would go with the 10 instead as a decent heater doesn't cost that much and that gives you more room to work with and more stability. My 10 was a nano and I did weekly water changes with ro/di water (this is a must imho for nanos, causes a lot less problems) and using a marine buffer. I fed brine or flakes every other day. I always used live sand too. One again just do more maintenance on it. Where I did a weekly water Change in my 10g I do a monthly water change in my 75. (I dose supplements and ph buffer weekly though, and I only have 3 small fish so it factors out)

Back
Top Bottom