Nano Stocking...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theyoungaquariest

Aquarium Advice Freak
Christmas is coming early this year!!! I have been talking about it for a while now, and i think I got my family annoyed so they decided to sponsor my new picotope for Christmas. (ahh my little sister...shes also my little spy ;)) So I started getting things ready.. I bought my lighting already, its the coralife power compact quad.I am now trying to decide what corals my small tank will house. Thats where AA comes in. I know that I will only be able to have have soft corals in my tank and because of the small size (3 gallons) Im not going to have any fish, just a few inverts. Any suggestions on coral?
Thanks,
Tina

I dont think I can fit any fish into a 3 gallon plus live rock so maybe 2.5 gallons. Can I? what would you recomend?

Some really colorful mushrooms,ricordea and some zoanthids would be pretty cool. I would avoid anything that gets to big like leather corals and instead stick to stuff that grows close to the rocks. It takes a little work out of it not having to cut corals back all the time

I can't wait to see your posting, now that I'm thinking of giving myself a birthday present of a Picotope, keep us updated :)

I will! I will start a new thread and make a journal. I love going through Ziggy's, red_Buddah's and Neilhn's tank jounals so I will be sure to start my own.!!!!

If you are going to get a fish i would definitely recommend upgrading from the stock power filter. There is a mod out there for an aquaclear 50, 70 which really just makes a small HOB refugium outta it. if your interested let me know and i can draw you up some specs and whatnot. Would really help you keep your levels in check.
P.S look for my tank thread coming soon, im starting a Pico up at my dorm running MH. :)

I will. And the aquaclear fuge sounds like a really good idea!!! Yea if you have more details about the fuge let me know. Id love to hear more about it. :D

Yes Jimbo, I would love to know about it too... I can't wait to get myself a Picotope when I get back to LA. Wow running an MH with Picotope, isn't it too strong?

Yes Jimbo, I would love to know about it too... I can't wait to get myself a Picotope when I get back to LA. Wow running an MH with Picotope, isn't it too strong?

No not really, its just a small 70 watt Viper clip on. The most important thing to do with a strong light though on a small tank like this is just to make sure that all your corals gradually adjust to the new conditions. I have noticed a huge growth increase across the boards on all my corals. Next monday i go back to school and will start my official pico thread and i will show you my setup with the halide. I will try to draw up some stuff on that Aquaclear mod in the next couple days here and post it.

Hey Jimbo are you gonna paint the back of the pico? What color? I think I will for mine, maybe black, havent decided yet.

I dont think i will, i wont have it empty long enough to really do it the right way. It is stuffed to the brim with frags while i go dark on my frag tank to get rid of an algae problem. Then im going to drain it and drive back to my dorm and fill it up again right away. I do like the look of the painted backs though.

ah there you go, i didnt know it was already written up somewhere. Much better then i was about to post up. Im actually going to be doing it sometime next week though hopefully so i will make one on AA.

Thx Innovator

Sure thing. There are literally a ton (yes, I weighed them all!) of diy step-by-step instructions on this mod; An oldie, but goodie :)

Back
Top Bottom