Nano tank build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCoolFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been keeping FW aquariums for about three years now and currently have one FW 55g cichlid tank.

I have decided to build a fresh water nano tank (not sure if FO, RT, or both) with a challenge.

This challenge is:
Make a successful SW nano tank
Build it in less than 6 months
Spend less than $175

Feel free to comment your ideas!

I will be posting my every purchase and my progress.

P.s. I'm not going over 15 gallons.
The deadline will be February 21

It will be so good to see how this turns out! Why don't you get a 14 gallon biocube?

If 14 doesn't do it for your budget, try an 8G.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Here's a tentative list of everything you need.
10-15 gallon tank-$15
Salt mix-50 gal bag is around $20
Base rock-$2/lb so roughly $20-30
Powerheads-2 koralia 240 $40
Heater-$18
Refractometer-$30-40
Sand-$15
Lighting-$50-75 if doing a reef

Total without livestock-$243ish

I'm sure you can find deals and such so I doubt it will be that total. It's definitely possible for $175 IMO. It will be tough but possible

You have a marine grade salt mix? Just curious but why? Lol. If you do that's even better

If you plan on doing a reef I highly doubt "petco brand" salt is going to be a good choice. Look into a reef grade salt mix

I think I'm going to go with a fluval edge 6 g. It fits the space it needs to go in and it reasonably cheap or a biocube 8g.

You arent planning on any fish are you? For a 6g or a spec ? they are limited due to size. But a biocube, while kinda pricey, would allow you to keep some fish as well as the fact it comes stock with the basics. You wont be growing SPS corals but you can keep softies and some lps with the stock lighting. :)

Check out drs foster and smith, they recently had buy a biocube and get a free stand. Was about $200

In a 6? Your really limited to pretty much the perching gobies. IMHO $200 isn't going to be enough for a reef, and honestly a 20 gallon isn't going to be much more than the small tanks your looking at and would allow you to keep the fish your interested in.

Back
Top Bottom