Nanocube advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No trouble with the ballasts. I paid $169 for the 12gal Deluxe and $69 for the "S" stand. The standard 12gal cube is $99 at LFS around me. I think the 24gal model was going for $239.

Forgot to mention...The Deluxe cube comes with a remote ballast, very well built. I believe the standard cube has an internal one.

ahhh maybe the ones I'm reading about are the standard model .... the reviews were rather old!

What type of corals do you have in yours?

Mushrooms, yellow polyps, green stars, xenia, hammer coral, leather, trumpets...

WOW!!!! I just put my order in ... Woo Hoo! I can't wait! Thanks for the help.

jim532 - thanks for the thread! Kudos

Lando, very nice tank. How much total lb of live rock/rubble do you think you have in the 12g?

How is the skunk clownfish you have? I'm setting up a 20g soon - I want it to be mainly an invert tank, just 1 or 2 fish. I was thinking of getting a tank-bred neon goby, but the skunk clown is my wife's favorite. I really like Stonogobiops shrimp gobies too.

When you got the LR for your Nano, did you order pieces specifically for a Nano or did you do some chizzleing on it?

I got it locally so I could pic it out myself. I have a LFS near by that gets in Florida LR that is very close to the Keys rock from liverocks.com. They will not tell me where they source it, all they say is that is is aqua-cultured from the FL keys. If you call liverocks.com and tell them what you are looking for, sizes, shapes, colors, they will hand-pick exactly what you want.

I actually live 20-30 minutes from Liverocks.com and about 35-40 from TBS.com .... when I get the Nano in next week (I'm on VACATION) I think I'll take a little trip to LR.com!!

Whats the best way to cycle a Nano? same as a larger tank ... shrimp, cured LR?

Cycle it the same as a larger tank. If you use all cured LR, fill up the filtration compartments with LR rubble (you should be able to get some from liverocks.com) and some LS from an exsisting tank I doubt you will see much of a cycle. Use well aged SW and just keep an eye of parameters for a week or so. Feed the tank lightily to keep the bacteria going and see what happens. Enjoy your vacation.

I was just thinkin about this ...

Lando do you have any problems with heat issues?
48watts of CF light over 12 gallons of water seems like it would heat that water up rather quickly? If you do what do you do to combat the heat problem?

Thanks,
Jermz

Not really. My temp rose to 83 early this summer before I turned the air on. Now it stays 80-81.

I was thinking for getting a 24g nano. I read somewhere that the 24g nano's were cracking because the tank itself wasn't thinck enough. I think it was the same material used in the 12g nano. Have you guys heard anything?

Do you guys know how stable these nano tanks are?

The 12's don't have as many problems because the glass is thick enough for the size ... both the 6's and the 12's seem to have no problems. The problem with the 24gal is that they use the same glass as the 6 and 12 and it's just not thick enough!

If you go over to www.nano-reef.com and check out the NanoCube discussions there is a running thread of 24gal crack rates ... it's not pretty!!!

Good Luck ... I love my 12, I already started adding some corals! Neon green Zoos, Purple Zoo's, Green star polyps and some Ricordea shrooms!

Jermz

Back
Top Bottom