Need an opinion...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandarinlove

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought the ecoxotic LED module for my bio cube. Ecoxotic Panorama LED Module

I also have this light. AquaticLife T5 HO 4-Lamp Light Fixtures w/ Lunar LEDs

What I did (since the mounting fixtures for the light blow), I made a box out of 1x4 wood and placed the light on the wood sitting on top of the tank. It's about 4.5 inches above the water. Then I took an egg crate, placed it on the lower level lip of the tank and placed the LED strip on the egg crate. The LED strip will not get wet there, my concern is the heat from the T5 light, if that's going to cause an issue. The LED light itself has a heat sink on it which gets pretty hot in itself.

Any thoughts? I would really hate to lose the LED, I'm actually going to buy another one, they really add some cool light to the water and make the corals "pop."

Thanks guys.

Also I had originally thought about getting the LED strips, and I e-mailed them about the same question, this is what they responded with (they actually say the LED strips are ok on the acrylic lens)

"Thank you for contacting Ecoxotic and showing interest in our LED products.

Unfortunately the heat produced from T5HO lamps will degrade any type of LED located close to the lamps, and This type of application is not recommended. However, the Stunner LED strips are water resistant and we have seen hobbyists successfully attach them directly to the acrylic lens of the Aquatic Life fixture. Attaching them to the lens would be a better option for you."

I am having trouble picturing what you made. But your light fixture is in the middle, so how long is the led strip? You could put a strip in front and behind the light fixture. That way the lights would not be very close to the heat from the fixture. Let me see a pic of what you made and maybe I can be more helpful.

The LED light is 13 inches long. It is placed on an egg crate about 4.5 inches underneath the T5 light. The LED light has a mechanism on it where if it gets too hot it will shut off. The T5 light is shining above the light. I needed to put the LED lights in the middle so the light spreads around the tank. The color of the tank looks so cool and I really want to buy another one.

The e-mail they sent me was about the ecoxotic stunner led strips, and they said they were ok right on the acrylic lens of the T5 light, which is even closer to the light. So I'm starting to assume that what I have is ok.

If you are still confused, picture the light hanging on the ceiling about 4.5 inches above the water and then the two LED strips underneath the light on an egg crate. That's pretty much what I have.

i think it will be fine. If it turns off when hot then you will know its not working if you come home and its off. I would think its fine. Post some pics. Those stunner strips look nice.

Back
Top Bottom