Need help finding fish that stay under an inch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dylanp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my tanks 8 gallons and I want some extremely small middle to top water thin bodied fish that stay under an inch. The smallest fish I can find is Trimmatom nanus but they are bottom dwelling.

Almost all sw fish that fit that criteri a are either rock dwelling gobies or sand dwellers. Many of the Eviota gobies fit that description and are fairly colorful.

Not really gonna find any free swimming fish that size

Thanks angel. I'm gonna look into acclimating these to salt but I'd like to find something even smaller than guppies. Preferably something that would be normally seen in a reef environment.

Almost all sw fish that fit that criteri a are either rock dwelling gobies or sand dwellers. Many of the Eviota gobies fit that description and are fairly colorful.

Not really gonna find any free swimming fish that size

Bribo. The only gobies I'm seeing that stay under an inch are neon gobies. If I have to settle for bottom dwellers I will. How about inverts? Anything tiny that will stay in the water column?

Bribo. The only gobies I'm seeing that stay under an inch are neon gobies. If I have to settle for bottom dwellers I will. How about inverts? Anything tiny that will stay in the water column?

Eviota is a genus of nano gobies. Trimma is also a genus of gobies that stay at or under an inch.

Just search Eviota or trimma gobies and you should be able to find different species. I don’t know any inverts that don’t live in the rocks or sand.

I'll check them out. Do you know of any trustworthy sights that would have these

The smallest they have is the neon gobies. That's about maximum size I'm looking for.

I don't believe that there is anything that you are looking for exists for such a small nano tank environment. A majority of the fish in the saltwater side of things need large amounts of water...be it for swimming, dilution of pollutants in the water column from their very specialized feedings...whatever the case is.
At the end of the day, a 8 gallon tank isn't enough for a vast majority of fish to live singly. These tanks in the nano community, that are long term successful, keep either a small goby that stays in the sand/rock or is solely an invert setup with a single invert, mated pair sort of deal.

Thanks sniper hank. I am kinda interested in either the red striped goby or red spotted goby. Both max out at an inch. I am adding a Refugium to add water volume and some better filtration. Other than that I want a pair of sexy shrimp

I have a Yellow Clown Goby, male I think. The male would usually be smaller than the female.

It was raised into adulthood in a larger tank, but now is in a nano 6.6G. Live rock and Macro Algae and an AquaClear 20. Not that I recommend that small of size to grow it up, but as mentioned it grew up from a 12 to 15 to 35G.

10G is recommended.

Mine has been around nearly 4 years (and the tank is very stable). Anyway it will swim around in the tank and also rest and hide but will get to 1.5".

He is a sweet little guy - reminds me of a Betta because he will come over to the side of the tank to see me (hoping I will feed it). I have inverts but only the one fish. I have Sexy shrimp and they are a blast to watch! The YCG will rush over if I am trying to take a pic and photo bomb all the time. He has a friendly personality.

60074-albums14401-picture67507.jpg

60074-albums14597-picture70670.jpg

I would recommend a mantis shrimp as the sole inhabitant. N. wennerae gets around 3", and is extremely hardy. You can feed it anything meaty, even dropping in an occasional crab or some small snails for it to smack down. It's reef safe and a wonderful little critter IMHO. I have one named Langston and I love him to death

Back
Top Bottom