Need help first tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sometimes stores will set up tanks like this because they look nice, but they are ultimately unstable. A tank that size should have only a couple small fish, not clowns. A fish store that is willing to sell this kind of setup is looking for money, and doesn't really care about the health of the animals. This kind of behavior is actually endangering the hobby as a whole.

The view of aquarium residents as disposable needs to be put away. Anemone lifespans can be measured in decades if not a century or more. Some of the fish can live for 10 or 20 years or more, and not just the big ones.

OK after reading this thread I am actually in the process myself of buying my first tank already set up with fish and everything anything I Ned to check or ask before I remove it from the store as the clerk told me I could put a pair of clowns in mine and its a 7.5

OK after reading this thread I am actually in the process myself of buying my first tank already set up with fish and everything anything I Ned to check or ask before I remove it from the store as the clerk told me I could put a pair of clowns in mine and its a 7.5

A pair in a 7.5 gallon tank is a bad idea. :nono: That's a large bioload and too small of a tank for 2 fish that will each reach about 3". I would be wary of his advice.

Being this will b my first tank I have a 30 gal already but I don't have it set up and everyone tells me that it would b easier to maintain I'm kinda skeptical because the quote I got was around 600 for all the material I need not including coral or fish any advice

Criegslist, I scored a 180gal reef ready with stand for 300$

Idk. I got hooked on a 55gal. I ended up with a red tail catfish and no knowledge about it. So i was kinda forced to go big quick. But i was also all for it cause I'm completely addicted to tanks now.

I actually just posted this vid tonight. U can see my pike cichlid and Oscar. And my black ghost knife fish swimming in my blue led. Thats kinda cool. U cant really see the red tail. Hes in the trees root thing. There all still pretty young still. The pike cichlid eats like a heavyweight though.

Sometimes stores will set up tanks like this because they look nice, but they are ultimately unstable. A tank that size should have only a couple small fish, not clowns. A fish store that is willing to sell this kind of setup is looking for money, and doesn't really care about the health of the animals. This kind of behavior is actually endangering the hobby as a whole.

The view of aquarium residents as disposable needs to be put away. Anemone lifespans can be measured in decades if not a century or more. Some of the fish can live for 10 or 20 years or more, and not just the big ones.

I agree. I'm upset that these clown fish are in this tank. I am purchasing a 29 gallon saltwater bio cube tomorrow I think.

I believe foster and smith is having a sale on nano cubes, they come with stands for like $300. :)

Took this pic just now.. Is my zoa still alive?

Yes, it's just pissed off. It can take days or weeks before a coral is happy again once it has been added to your tank.

Do you see any spots on it? If so, research "Zoa pox", compare and treat accordingly.

You also should post ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels.

Yes, it's just pissed off. It can take days or weeks before a coral is happy again once it has been added to your tank.

Do you see any spots on it? If so, research "Zoa pox", compare and treat accordingly.

You also should post ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels.

Getting the salt water master test tomorrow. I will let everyone know the results then.

Alright bought a few tests today.

Ph: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0

Getting the full master test soon

What's the salinity?
Any change in the Zoa? Remember, it can take some time before they open up. I see a few white spots on a couple of polyps but the pic is blurry.

These are the zoas currently

May be that they just need time, but...
I see a lot of white spots. Personally, I would treat for the Pox just to be sure before it potentially gets out of hand.
Furan2 dip for twenty minutes, once a day for three days. Rinse in tank water before they go back into the tank. Place them in a moderate flow area and leave them alone for seven days. If they open up, excellent. If they are still closed repeat the treatment but lower the time to 15 minutes.

Can u grow coral in a nano 28 gal cube by dr foster and smith

One, I don't really consider 28 gallons "nano", but yes you can certainly keep corals in a tank that size. People keep corals in 5 gallon tanks. The smaller the tank the more work it is, and the more delicate the balancing act.

Ty the store I normally go to said that I could only put in a few sps sand not any lips or anything big so I would b able to put and type in it

Back
Top Bottom