Need help starting 36 gallon saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just know that aquatraders stuff is made very cheaply. I have two of their lights and while they work good they aren't the best example of good workmanship.

Depending on what you want to keep and your fish bioload you may be able to get by without a skimmer. You just have to be up on your water changes and keep an eye on your parameters.
'Just my opinion. :-D

Yea I'm well aware I have 2 of their canister filters both with the uv sterilizer and it feels pretty cheap and their metal halide which surprisingly works well. I just thought it can do him some good since he only has a 36 and since it can take out some skimmate. I know an LFS that has one on their 40 gallon that looks like it works well.

No worries, just warning him. lol Some people don't like the odyssea brand, me, I have no issue with their stuff. As long as you take care of it I bet it would last awhile. And they are dirt cheap which is a def plus.

Didn't want him to be surprised if he got one. lol I think he will be fine without a skimmer for awhile anyways. Give him a chance to catch one on ebay or craigs list. :-D

Haha thank you guys. Change in plans though my friend is selling his 55 gallon so I'm gonna take that off his hand and use that to start my reef!!!!

In tht case then try to get a protein skimmer as it really helps. And if you are still planning on having corals then try to get a light fixture around 250-350w.

Ok I will. Thank you. I'm just curious about this. So if I had a 75 gallon sw tank could I use a 55 gallon filter and protein skimmer and be ok?

Once you get over 55g it's probably best to have a sump and skimmer. I barely get away with the filter on mine, but I'm constantly on the tank so it helps.

yeah. you are going to need a sump, and some MH lighting would be GREAT. try ebay, they have great deals on lights. also, if you havent already, make a new thread for your new 55 gallon tank.

You don't NEED a sump, no matter the tank size. Sumps are optional, but they add a ton of benefits such as added water volume, better filtration, a place to add water without disturbing the DT, and a place to hide all of your tools. If you don't think you can do the plumbing, skip it.

Well can you suggest a good filter for a 72 gallon bow front

Now is a canister filter one of the fluval things I see in my lfs

I believe that's what it's called

Yes, Fluval and Rena are a few of the better known brands.

A cannister/HOB is another optional thing. With live rock as your primary source for biological filtration, it practically eliminates the need for any external filtration. The only thing a cannister/HOB would be good for is the mechanical filtration for removing solid objects such as algae and food, or if you need to add carbon, which doesn't happen very often IME. Cannisters and HOB filters can also turn into a nightmare if not maintained properly, creating nitrates like you wouldn't believe.

I ran two gigantic canisters on a 200g tank for 6 months. They were one of the worst ideas i've ever had. We had to keep them SPOTLESS or else the tank went to crap so fast.

I vote HOB if you must have a filter. I ran an emperor on a 46 and it worked perfectly.

I would vote for a HOB as well. I use a fluval canister on my 55g and to keep 0 nitrates is a pain. You constantly need to be on the upkeep of it. With the size of your tank a HOB would be ideal I think. You have the option of running anything you want if need be and it will collect the particulate matter floating around.

Back
Top Bottom