Nervous, Anxious, AND excited: 20g reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigbanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alrighty.... My 55g freshwater tank is on track and running well. I've been contemplating saltwater for about nine months or so.... and I'm finally going to be taking the plunge this Friday.

The goal will be reef only with a few inverts.... No preference on corals just yet as I need to figure out what the heck I'm doing. The following are the recommendations from my LFS:

Marineland C-160 canister (rated for up to 30g) -- $115
2 Bulb 24in T5HO Aquatic Life fixture OR 4 bulb 24in T5HO Aquatic Life fixture -- $130 OR $348
20lbs of Live rock $150 ($7.50/lbs)
Live Sand (no price given)

He said there would be no need for a skimmer and that PFS would be a bad choice for the tank as it leeches into the tank.

I personally don't love the prices but I will be getting a 10% discount on everything that I purchase. What do you think?

Alrighty.... My 55g freshwater tank is on track and running well. I've been contemplating saltwater for about nine months or so.... and I'm finally going to be taking the plunge this Friday.

The goal will be reef only with a few inverts.... No preference on corals just yet as I need to figure out what the heck I'm doing. The following are the recommendations from my LFS:

Marineland C-160 canister (rated for up to 30g) -- $115
2 Bulb 24in T5HO Aquatic Life fixture OR 4 bulb 24in T5HO Aquatic Life fixture -- $130 OR $348
20lbs of Live rock $150 ($7.50/lbs)
Live Sand (no price given)

He said there would be no need for a skimmer and that PFS would be a bad choice for the tank as it leeches into the tank.

I personally don't love the prices but I will be getting a 10% discount on everything that I purchase. What do you think?

1. Canister is ok if you take great care cleaning it every other week. but would be just as well off with a good HOB filter at a fraction of the cost.
2. 4 bulb t5ho fixture on e-bay for about $100 would be fine for this tank.
3. Look for live rock on craigslist from an established tank and save yourself some time and money.
4. Live sand is pointless and PFS is great in my 29 and 75 gallon tanks, just like about 1/2 of the people on this site.

You will save more than the 10% that he is giving you by putting it together yourself. Just sayin'. You can check out my 29 gallon build by clicking on the link in my signature. I stepped through the whole process of setting up my 29 on the cheap.

Last edited:
1. Canister is ok if you take great care cleaning it every other week. but would be just as well off with a good HOB filter at a fraction of the cost.
2. 4 bulb t5ho fixture on e-bay for about $100 would be fine for this tank.
3. Look for live rock on craigslist from an established tank and save yourself some time and money.
4. Live sand is pointless and PFS is great in my 29 and 75 gallon tanks, just like about 1/2 of the people on this site.

You will save more than the 10% that he is giving you by putting it together yourself. Just sayin'. You can check out my 29 gallon build by clicking on the link in my signature. I stepped through the whole process of setting up my 29 on the cheap.

I currently have a HOB on this tank now.... I was wondering why I wouldn't be able to use it.... So you think it will be fine? He said something about using phosGuard in the canister. Unless I'm mistaken the canister will be nitrate factory?

As far as the light fixture.... I find myself VERY impatient so ordering it is asking a lot ;) though given that I won't have corals (or much of anything!) while I cycle if I opt to wait and order it online will the tank be okay with no light? I've been looking on CL but no one wants to part out their tank. :(

You dont need the light to cycle the tank. So, you will be fine ordering it now and it should be there by the time you are cycled. It is best to leave the lights off while you cycle anyway. You should probably get 1 or 2 small nano sized powerheads to move the water around also. Dont forget that you will need a hydrometer or a refractometer(prefered) to tell the salinity and a saltwater test kit to follow the cycle as it happens. You may have to get the live rock from an lfs, but shop around and get the best price. I also have cycled with shrimp or pure ammonia. Both work fine but I found the ammonia to be much easier since you can control the amount better.

Also, I used a canister on my 29 gallon just because I had it. It is working fine and my nitrAtes are less than 10. I also clean it every two weeks. But, I wouldnt go out and buy one to put on a new tank. I would buy a good HOB and use that. I dont use an HOB on either of my tanks, but lots on this site do and would be able to make good suggestions on which one.

Your tank will be fine without a light while you cycle.

Excuse me while I find a rock (preferably a live one!) to bang my head against. I started looking at refractometers on Amazon but I have NO clue as to what I'm looking at. ugh!

As far as a nano power head will the Hydor Koralia 425gph $30.28 on amazon, will this work?

Any recommendations on a good light?

Any word on the longevity of those lights??

At the same time regarding this initial set up I can find a 55g rock and all on craigslist for 300.... I'd still have to upgrade the lights.

I'm really torn!!! If I get that 55g I'd have two of them, a 20g, and a 10g in a thousand square foot apartment. I know the larger amount of water would give me more aquatic stability... But another tank might seem a bit much.

Check out the lighting options 2Ft/4Bulbs fixturefor a 4 bulb T5-HO fixture. It comes with bulbs but use the money saved to purchase ATI bulbs. The fixture is cheap but runs cool and quiet. At $99 it is well worth it IMO.

Woohoo thanks so much yall for the tips!!!! Greatly appreciated! I was going to buy a 150g off of Craigslist. BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT I had to take my doggy to the vet! OUCH. Plans for any saltwater tank are on hold for the next few weeks! I will start however by buying the "cheap" stuff. Like a new heater :)

Just curious....,

Would it be possible to start my cycle with a couple pounds of base rock, a few lbs of live rock and my current hob?

Back
Top Bottom