New 14G BioCube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

all4wheels2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm setting up a 14g Biocube and I want to know what's better - Live sand or crushed coral, and why?

I already put some crushed coral in it - I was trying to do something different, but I'm not liking the look of it and it doesn't look critter friendly :ermm:

I didnt like the crushed coral either. ;-)

I went with regular aragonite sand that you get at the lfs. I would only suggest the "live" sand if it's the color and consistency that you want. I doubt theres much "life" in those sealed bags. lol

I ended up removing the crushed coral and putting in aragonite sand. It looks much better :)

Are the filters on here pretty good, or can I add some caulerpa or cheato to one of the chambers on it?

So for the moment, I'm going to just leave the bio balls in there. Are they really that bad?

Also, the tank is cycling now. I put a piece of raw shrimp in there 2 days ago. How long should I leave it - a few days or until it's completely decomposed?

Are you testing your water? You wanna keep ammonia in the water until your cycle finishes. So you may even have to add another depending on how long it takes. Did you put the shrimp in a mesh bag or pantyhose foot? That'll make it much easier to remove when it's time.

I don't see why you can't leave the bioballs in for now. :)

Back
Top Bottom