New 14G Biocube!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nanoreefz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone!

So I've had a freshwater tank for about a year and half now. Nothing special:

10 gallon tank w/ a kit

So now I'm on to better things, SALTWATER! Was wondering if I could get some advice on just initial set up? Already bought a hydro koralia 240 and the rotating deflector. Thanks!

Not really sure what your asking. Equipment list? Cycling? Stocking? What is it your looking for help on?

Yeah realized it wasn't too specific on that. Looking to see the best route on cycling it, was told I could get fish in it in a couple days, wasn't too reassuring for me. Also looking to see best corals to stick in it

Yeah realized it wasn't too specific on that. Looking to see the best route on cycling it, was told I could get fish in it in a couple days, wasn't too reassuring for me. Also looking to see best corals to stick in it

You can use live rock and soft cycle, or hard cycle. Easiest way IMO would be to use dry rock (no pests) and a thawed table shrimp and let the bacteria build up. If you use the soft cycle it's crucial to get actual "live" rock, not just wet. For it to be fully cured LR it needs to come out of a tank with livestock. And you'll still probably have a small ammonia spike but it should be quicker than the hard cycle. After ammonia and nitrite drop back to 0 you can slowly start adding livestock, with a hard cycle you can add a little more at once. Let me know if I confused you with that, don't think I organized that very well

Sorry still kind of confused, I'm not sure where to learn everything from so I apologize in advance lol

There's some articles on here that are helpful. But it's really the same cycle as fw, just different strains. IMHO the easiest way to do it is get your rock, and throw in a table shrimp to rot for a few days and get some ammonia in the system and then just wait for nature to take it's course.

Okay that makes sense. So a couple of threads I've seen people say to use pantyhose with the shrimp? And does it go in the tank or in the back of the tank by the pump. Sorry for my poor terminology, don't know if there's a thread on here for that too

Yeah use a bag or pantyhose so that when it's time for it to come out it's contained in something. I'd just throw it in the display section, but doubt it really matters.

Okay sounds good, I'll post pics of the build of how it goes. Should be here Tuesday. As for stocking it, what kind of corals would be good in it?And I want a smaller anemone to put in it. Was thinking a couple clown fish and that's it.

Okay sounds good, I'll post pics of the build of how it goes. Should be here Tuesday. As for stocking it, what kind of corals would be good in it?And I want a smaller anemone to put in it. Was thinking a couple clown fish and that's it.

Never owned a bio cube so hopefully some one that has can chime in on this but I doubt the stock lighting will support an anemone. I believe softies and maybe some lps will be your limits unless you upgrade the lighting.

Okay cool, as long as I get some good color in the tank I'm fine. So when you acclimate corals, does the float method still work?

Okay cool, as long as I get some good color in the tank I'm fine. So when you acclimate corals, does the float method still work?

I use a drip method, corals and other sw inverts can be sensitive to changes in water params.

Zoas, shrooms, Xenia, toadstools, most softie should work. Lps wise the lights could probably support a hammer or frogspawn as well as Duncan's and maybe even acans. In a new system I'd always drip corals. Once your tank matures a bit floating usually works fine. Also always dip corals in a disinfectant like coral rx or revive before adding to the tank.

Nice! I'm a big fan of the hammers :) so how do you set up the drip method? I'm trying to buy everything I'll need now ahead so I'm not scrambling lol. Anything you all can think of that I'll need? Like I said I have a power head that I ordered already

Easiest way to drip is use some flexible airline hose and tie a knot in it so that a couple drips a second are coming out. As far as equipment goes the basics are, refractometer, test kits, rodi water, reef grade salt, heater, thermometer, couple buckets and an extra power head (an extra heater too is nice, but you can do with out) for water changes/mixing saltwater,and I feel like I'm forgetting something but can't think of it.

Okay thanks BigRed! I'm excited to get this bad boy started but scared because I don't want to mess this up at all lol :/

Best advice I can give a new reefer is, patience and research are key, and no question is a dumb question :). Ro/di water is also crucial IMO for a reef set up, do you have a lfs where you can buy it or do you plan on getting a unit? My unit is probably the best $250 I've spent in this hobby, and they'll pay for themselves shortly.

Appreciate it! Yea my lfs does have water there for purchase. Not sure how much they charge for it. I was looking at the aquarium pharmaceuticals tap water filter that goes on a faucet. Not sure about any reviews on that or if that is even a good choice. I was waiting to buy the more expensive pieces when we upgrade to a bigger tank down the road

If it's a coralife biocube 14 and not the old oceanic biocube 14 then the stock lighting will work fine for bubble tip anemone. Just make sure you keep on top of the bulb replacements. Or swap out for led retrofit.

As for fish. You would be maxed with two clowns.

Here is my biocube 14 with stock lighting.
img_2966246_0_a407500e9faffd4a853caec3a488c538.jpg

Awesome Dav3 thank you! Your biocube looks amazing! I hope mine ends up looking that great. I'll be posting build pics as it goes along. It comes tomorrow :)

Back
Top Bottom