New 25g kent bio reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Found a 4 inch bristle worm now. Is he good?

Attachments

• image-4182162388.jpg
    image-4182162388.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 101
There is a lot of stipulation on this. The general consensus is, they are great in the CuC category. Honestly, unless it is a bright red, I wouldn't worry about it. Bright red is a fire bristle worm and has a tendency to be very aggressive. Fire bristle worms have been know to eat small sleeping fish.

That Xenia is beautiful, you should ask your local fish store or someone to hold on to it while your tank cycles to avoid killing it. Cycling with live rock will reduce your cycle time but it still could kill the coral. Xenias also grow very fast compared to other corals, do not be surprised if it pops up in other spots!

Thanks collatos. Problem is they are attached to a massive piece of rock. Chances of them surviving the cycle? They look very happy at the moment.

You can cut them off and put them in a area where they can attach to new rubble. I would suggest cutting them off and letting them live somewhere else for the cycle

Your tank might not even cycle in you used live sand too so I guess you could just play it by ear, but I'd keep an eye on them

Cheers. Didn't use live sand though. Only live rock. The old guy in the lfs through in the cabbage and said it would cycle fine. I'm
Not convinced.

If it cycles fast, the Xenia may pull threw. They are filter feeders and will dine on some trates if they come soon enough. Xenia are funny like that and IMO, is a bizarre coral.

Checked salinity this morning and it had gone to the very top of the scale. Is tha normal after adding live rock and during the cycle?

What is "the top of the scale?" ocean is 1.025. However you can sway a little (.23 - .26). Imo, the lesser side having a better value if .25 cant be achieved. The LR really should have changed things that much.

What are you testing with? Hydrometer or refractometer? Hydrometers are notoriously inaccurate. If you don't have one, a refractometer is going to be the most important tool in your arsenal and is EXTREMELY important!

If you are indeed way over 1.025, you can top off with RODI water that is not salt mixed to balance it out.

If I took some out and just added some to water or bottled water like Evian. Would it be ok?

You could take some out and add fresh water. Even spring water may have phosphates, these are a major food supplement or nuisance algae.

You can. It comes down to the lesser of evils. Bottled water is not normally RO water but filtered. Their advertised numbers don't look to bad tho
2 us gal of fresh added to (replacing 2 of) 20 gal 1.028 will lower it to about 1.0254 or so.

Btw how did it get so high. Cycling I don't think would cause that. Do you have a needle hydrometer?

Back
Top Bottom