New 29 gal Bio cube (where do I go from here)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ldow94

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone I'm am a new hobbyist and I'm setting up my 1st reef system. I recently discovered the site and I looking for some advice on the next few steps for setting up this tank to ensure I'm giving the organisms that I plan on adding the best chance to flourish

So here's where I'm at right now
- 8lb of natures ocean live sand on top of 12lb of crushed coral substrate
- 29lb of live rock (I plan on adding more to the back wall of the tank to push it over the 1lb per gal recommendation)
-bio cube stock lighting and power head
- 29gal protein skimmer
-100W heater
- I removed all the bio balls that come stock with the tank due to the things I have read about the amount of nitrate they build up
- I filled the tank only using boxed ocean water I bought from the LFS

The tank it self has Ben up and tuning with live sand and rock for 15 days and I have had 2 snails and 4 blue leg hermit carbs in the tank for 3 days now to help the tank cycle.

So here are some of the questions I have
- when can I add corals
- any recommendations as to beginner corals
- should I be concerned with the brown and green algee on one of my live rocks (see pic)
- does the tank need an additional power head to increase water flow
- and any recommendations you guys might have for stocking the tank :)

See pics for details and thanks for your time guys!

Attachments

• image-840861462.jpg
    image-840861462.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 123
  • image-4016149994.jpg
    image-4016149994.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 139
  • image-386404550.jpg
    image-386404550.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 113
  • image-1482906127.jpg
    image-1482906127.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 120
Side the tank looks really nice!

In my opinion I would say to wait a minimum of 22 days before adding anything...

Monitor your water chemistry and check your nitrates. Once they go up and come back down to zero that is the best way of knowing if your tank has completed the cycle process.

As for the algae... Something I always go with is my gut where this hobby is concerned... If you're not happy with how it is looking take it out and scrub it and but it back in.

I would recommend a wavemaker for sure for added water circulation and to make sure you have no dead spots. Maybe a vortec mp10 if you have the budget :) still waiting to get one myself or even a hydro koralia is good.

As for coral stocking... You can never go wrong with some zoas and mushrooms to start off with and then maybe add some leather coral or frog spawn.

Fish wise I would say maybe a pair of percular clowns, a six line wrasse and maybe a yellow watchman goby with a pistol shrimp.... If you want to do something different you can scrap then perculars and maybe add a purple fire fish and a bangaii cardinal or somin.

Also since you have some nice larger pieces of rock try an get some small pieces soy can do some nice aquascaping as you will need some ledges to keep adding corals as well as some nice caves to keep the fish from getting stressed.

Good luck!!! And happy reefing!

You're most welcome! Keep this thread going. Would love to see how the tank comes out... :)

Wow thanks. Very informative link and your tank is very impressive itself! :) I'm for sure going to do something like that in the 2nd chamber to help out filtration, would love to have some macro algae but need to find a way to get some light back there

What would you recommend adding to the clean up crew? I was planing on a diamond goby for the sand bed later on down the road once the tank as aged a bit more and I like the look of the emerald crabs, any experience with those I hear they can bother the coals sometimes.

Wow thanks. Very informative link and your tank is very impressive itself! :) I'm for sure going to do something like that in the 2nd chamber to help out filtration, would love to have some macro algae but need to find a way to get some light back there

What would you recommend adding to the clean up crew? I was planing on a diamond goby for the sand bed later on down the road once the tank as aged a bit more and I like the look of the emerald crabs, any experience with those I hear they can bother the coals sometimes.

They sell a submersible light and a fuge on this site.

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Underwater-10W-Single-Light-WTL10.htm

A clean up crew (CUC) really isn't needed IMHO but there nice to have, I have snails, hermit crabs, peppermint shrimp, blood shrimp, cleaner shrimp and a pistol shrimp. There all fine. I never liked emerald crabs. I had one and had to take him out, they start on certain corals. I've watched my crab literally cut pieces of zoas off and bring them into his cave.

That's all I needed to see lol he was gone.

So emeralds are considered reef safe but for me I didn't wanna take anymore chances.

Back
Top Bottom