new 29 gallon biocube...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darkprincess

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I finally brought it home. I need tips on setting it up! I have a iv sterilizer, a protein skimmed and a heater. I have 40lbs of black sand and plenty of pre mixed RO water. I guess my question is on the actual bio cube....I opened the back and got scared!!! Where do I start?

It's pretty simple really. :) I have a 29g cube as well. Just put the bioballs in where it says and slide the filter cartridge between the far right chamber and the center chamber.

LoL yeah it could be real simple or you could mod the you know what out of it! But I would suggest slow and steady. Man I modded my to the max!! But I love the BC 29's. I'm new to the SW side and I'm still learning. But If your interested in anything lemme know. Here's my video of my modded out BC 29.

Ok I guess I should be more specific. Where do the skimmed and sterilized and heater go? Lol

darkprincess said:
Ok I guess I should be more specific. Where do the skimmed and sterilized and heater go? Lol

Well for me my skimmer is in chamber 2 and the heater is in chamber 1. I don't run a UV.

You have the stock oceanic one right? So that would be chamber 1

I also have a 29g biocube. If you have the biocube uv sterilizer it goes in the 3rd chamber attached to the return pump and out put nozzle.

ForumRunner_20120404_180704.jpg

Really dumb question....is this set up right? I don't know which way to face the filter. And the protein skinner is supposed to go in chamber one according to the instructions but there's no way. I Hung it in chamber 3. Also which chamber is best for the heater? On or 3? Right now I've got it in 3. The same chamber the water pump us in....

Oh, and the instructions say fill the filtration system with freshwater even for a saltwater setup? I'm Sooo confused...

darkprincess said:
Really dumb question....is this set up right? I don't know which way to face the filter. And the protein skinner is supposed to go in chamber one according to the instructions but there's no way. I Hung it in chamber 3. Also which chamber is best for the heater? On or 3? Right now I've got it in 3. The same chamber the water pump us in....

That's good for stock. BUT there is so much more your tank can do it you allow it. You can start here.

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/BioCube-29_c16.htm.

It's crazy what you can do. I tossed the media balls and the stock filter. And I cut that piece of plastic next to the filter to allow more flow.

My heater is in chamber 1.

IMO you don't need a UV or even a skimmer IF you stay on top of your water changes. I do a 5 gallon water change every Saturday. At that time I change out the filter floss and turn my cheato which is housed in the inTank media basket.

Last edited:
ForumRunner_20120410_233330.jpg

A week after setup. Everyone is doing well and water parameters are good.

I've been using live culture bacteria additives plus I brought over cured rock from my other established aquarium. I'm trying my hardest to keep from adding more fish lol. I'm keeping all my inverts in my other tank for now if not permanently. Haven't decided yet. Although one tiny blue legged hermit hitched a ride over on a rock.

Back
Top Bottom