New 29 Gallon Tank! Stocking question and more!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gobullschi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all!! I am new to the saltwater fish hobby. I have a 29 Gallon Nano Cube HQI and attached a HOB-1 Protein Skimmer to the tank as well. I’ve had the tank for about a year and am just now adding coral and fish to the tank.

I attached Pictures of my tank below

Anyways…Yesterday I went to the fish store to browse…I told the employees that I was looking for either a colorful fish or something unique. One of the employees jumped up, pulled me to a tank, and told me I should get a White Ribbon Eel.

I told him that I thought my tank was too small for eels and that because I am new to the hobby I should just keep more hardy fish. He told me that he has a White Ribbon eel in his 29 gallon tank and it is doing very well and has had 0 problems. The eel is freaking BEAUTIFUL. Probably the coolest thing I could ever imagine going in my tank!!!

I told him that I thought the eel was too big (it’s about 16”) and he told me the eel can get up to 40”!!! but that the eel mainly curls up in rocks and that it probably won’t get that big either. I then said I heard it’s hard to feed. He told me this wasn’t true either…dropped a piece of a shiner in the tank and the eel came right out and grabbed it.

The other employee then showed me some puffer fish. I told him I have corals and read that they can’t go in reefs. He said it would be fine.

Obviously these are two really cool options to have in my tank… The store is called Reef Plus and only sells saltwater fish… Which makes me more convinced that it is OK to have this stuff… I figured I would ask around here and see what you guys think…I’d hate to buy one of these 2 guys and have them die, eat all my coral, or kill everything in my tank. Any advice or other recommended stocking options would be great guys! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Fish Tank.jpg
    Fish Tank.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 207
  • coral shot.jpg
    coral shot.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 165
  • midas blenny.jpg
    midas blenny.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 150
  • Gorgogian.jpg
    Gorgogian.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 162
I personally wouldnt put either fish into my cube. LOL A 40" eel, could you imagine?

Not sure about puffers but from what I've learned here there is usually a minimum size for them and i don't think it's 29g. LOL

Youc an check out the fish in question at Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums I don;t know which puffer and you can read up on some more appropriate fish for your tank.

I'm a big fan of blennies and gobies. MAybe add some cardinal fish? There a bunch of things you can find to add.

What is your current stocklist now?

I currently have a purple dottyback, clownfish, Midas Blenny, Brown Serpent Sea Star, and then various tiny crabs and snails...

I'm worried about adding another small fish...the Purple Dottyback is pretty aggressive. He killed my sixline wrasse in 2 days :(

Oh my! Thats an aggressive fish! I thought those sixlines could stand up for themselves. lol

I don't think the solution is putting an eel or puffer in though. Surely there has to be another fish you like? What about a spotted goby? They are great fish and pretty peaceful but they can defend themselves somewhat.

I'm not 100% but I think your inverts would get eaten by the eel and/or puffer.

Maybe some one with a puffer or eel can chime in? That'd be super helpful

Do you have any other suggestions for Gobies?

Since my current Livestock consists of Midas Blenny (Yellow), Clownfish (Orange, and Purple Dottyback (Purple)... Spotted Gobies dont vary in much color then my current fish.)

I am looking for a new bright color or b.) a Unique Shape/Fish

I LOVE my Midas Blenny...Good color and love watching it swim.

Also any suggestions on Coral would be great too! Again...looking for different colors and relatively easy care!!! Thanks!

How about a yellow watchman goby? they are bright abd have personality, at least mine does lol

Corals that are really easy are zooanthids, leathers, mushrooms...They all come in a HUGE assortment of shapes and colors so it can really bring out your tank

Try a firefish...great personalities and suited well for 10+ gallons

I don't think puffers or eels are "nano" fish; and I'm pretty sure you will lose the rest of your stock if you put either in the tank, especially your inverts :(

Those 29g cubed tanks are small even for the smallest (at max size) SW puffer.

Also too small for a eel.

Back
Top Bottom