new biocube 14. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Missy19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just started my biocube 3 days ago. We have live rock and live sand so far. Can't get the water to be crystal clear - there seems to be very fine particles in the water that won't filter out. Has this happened to anyone and what can we do to clear it?

I also found what looks to be a strange starfish in the tank. I assume it's from the live rock but don't know exactly what it is. Should I be concerned about it?

Don't be alarmed! The water will clear up and the starfish is harmless. Consider it a bonus hitchhiker with the live rock. If your sand and rock have been moved repeatedly, you might rinse your filter out with RO water. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks Anthony! My husband and I are new at this and with all there is to know and track, it's a bit overwhelming! Even though the water isn't totally cleared up, is it safe for fish? My water tests were all within range. Also, silly question, but what is RO water?

Another question! Yesterday I found what I think is a brittle star. It had legs last night and now it doesn't! It's still moving around but this is so weird! That can't be normal!

So far we only have live rock and live sand. Plus a snail and the star that came with the live rock. We are probably going to get a fish or two this weekend to get the cycles started

I'll just tell you no before someone else reads that. Just get an uncooked shrimp from your grocery store and throw it in. It is faster since you won't have to change the water to keep the ammonia down and not murder your fish. Go the humane route in this case.

I'm not sure if you know what cycling your tank means but I think it would be beneficial to your tank and your checkbook if you read up on it! When I cycled mine it was the longest month ever! But after the cycle I introduced all my fish and and corals with no deaths:) Biocubes are addictive and you can get a ton of enjoyment out of them. Best of luck to you and by the way , your rockwork looks sweet!

We've definitely been reading up! The owner of the store we shop at has been wonderful! (ocean gallery II). He's helping us get the process down one step at a time. He suggested that we get a fish or two to begin conditioning the tank this weekend. I just got an awesome app to help track the tank levels, maintenance, livestock, etc...

Missy19 said:
We've definitely been reading up! The owner of the store we shop at has been wonderful! (ocean gallery II). He's helping us get the process down one step at a time. He suggested that we get a fish or two to begin conditioning the tank this weekend. I just got an awesome app to help track the tank levels, maintenance, livestock, etc...

What is the ap called? I've been looking for a good one!

It's called Aquaplanner and I found it through the app store on my iPad - I'm still new to this, but it looks like a good one

No fish do the raw shrimp method. If you put a fish in it will be subject to ammonia ( first stage of the cycle) which is very stressful and will burn the fishes gills. Its almost like locking you in a house and then fumigating it with you in it! Not very nice :(

If the owner of the store is advising you to use fish to cycle, I would find a different store. He may be nice, but he doesnt care about you, the amount of work its going to create for you, or the health of the poor fish that he sells you.

So if we should cycle before we add fish, where should we start?

+1 on the "no fish" comment.

To cycle your tank add the raw shrimp from a grocer. It will turn into ammonia which kills fish. Fish poop and leftover food does the same. Later (1-2 weeks if your lucky) the first nitrifying bacteria will grow outing eat the ammonia, and release nitrite. Other bacteria will eat that and release nitrate. That is removed by partial water changes weekly.

+1 on the "no fish" comment.

To cycle your tank add the raw shrimp from a grocer. It will turn into ammonia which kills fish. Fish poop and leftover food does the same. Later (1-2 weeks if your lucky) the first nitrifying bacteria will grow outing eat the ammonia, and release nitrite. Other bacteria will eat that and release nitrate. That is removed by partial water changes weekly.

+ another one on the fishless cycle. With the dead shrimp method, you just drop it in and monitor your levels. With a fish-in cycle, you will be doing water changes either every or every-other day to keep the water safe enough for the fish, meaning lots of wasted $$$ on salt for those water changes.

I just finished up a fishless cycle on my 28gallon nano two days ago.... was the best thing I ever did.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f101/jbj-28g-nano-build-214432.html

Back
Top Bottom