New nano cycling***update with pics***

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi gang. My wife got me the new JBJ nano deluxe (12gal) for Christmas. I as going to set it up and start the cycle today. Here is what I am thinking...20 LS from LFS seeded with a few pounds from my reef tank. 15lbs LR (more to follow) 10lbs cured from LFS and 5lbs from my reef tank. LR rubble from my sump in the bio-media chambers of the nanocube. How long do you think it will take to cycle? Al of the media is from an established reef tank. Anyone have experiences with this or any suggestions that would be great. Thanks! Lando

Well, the tank is set up. Here is what I did...10lbs LS from a bag, 10lbs from established tanks (both mine and the LFS). 13lb cured Florida acu-cultured LR from the LFS and about 5lbs Fiji from my reef tank. I filed up the "filtration compartments" in the back of the nano with LR rubble from my own sump. I also used aged SW from my exsisiting tank. I am trying to avoid a full cycle. Any thoughts on what I can expect? I will monitor things closely for the next couple of weeks and see how it goes. Here are the pics I have now. thanks! Lando

Thanks a lot! I thought it was an interesting desing. It is made for the JBJ cubes. They make both a cabnet style and this "S" stand. Got it at a Store called "A World Of Fish" in Minneapolis. I had a very hard time tracking down this nano deluxe and the stand. This is the only shop in the metro that has it. I would have saved about $25 ordering online, but coudl not find anyone that would insure the glass. If it showed up broken, I would have to eat the cost. I went for the sure thing. No takers on the cycling issue yet? Thanks again...Lando

Lando,

With such a small tank and knowing your reeftank setup, I don't think you will see much of a cycle. I wouldn't think more than a week. What do you plan on stocking it with fish and inverts only or making it a small reef? You would know better than I (most likely) but in a by Christmas you should be able to start stocking it. I like the LR rubble in the sump! Very nice.

How often do you plan on doing water changes? I can't imagine doing them on such a small setup, I'll bet it will be a nice change from doing the reef tank.

Merry Christmas (and thanks for all the valuable info you post on this forum!)
Kudos coming your way!
Jim

Thanks Jim and everyone else!!
Jim...It is going to be a small reef. Mostly of corals fragged and/or stollen from my main reef. I started a new thread on fish possibilities. Thinking of a goby/pistol shrimp pair, a purple firefish and maybe one more small fish doen the road. I will have to see how the biofiltration does. I will also add some scarlet reef hermits, some snails and a cleaner shrimp. Top-off every other day and biweekly canges of a gal or two. With the displacement of the LS and LR there is only about 8 gal. of actual water. This is really going to be a learning experience for me.

Bearfan...I know what you mean about the cords. That though did not even occur o me until the tank was set up. On the bright side, there are only four cords coming from the back. Two from each light going to a remote ballast, on each from the heater and pump.

Thanks msuburg! How do you like your nano? Do you have any pics of your set-up? I am always looking for ideas.

Very cool

I saw this Nano set up at my LFS with some corals and a fish or two.
Looked awesome.
Really makes me think about grabbing one myself.

Congrats on the cool gift

Hey Lando,

I just got a digital camera, so I'll take some pics in the next day or two and try to post them for you. I like your stand setup, it's just different (good different!). I simply have mine on a wide tv stand. As far as the tank itself, I think I have about 10 lbs of live rock in there, (I think the rest of the setup should display on my signature to this message) which are now being taken with that nice purple coralline (sp?). The tank has been set up since July.
The only bad thing is that I wonder if the circulation is a bit too low. I may have created some dead spots by putting my live rock pieces too close together at first. This started a cyano bloom, and I've been fighting it since. It has slowed down lots, but it's still a battle I'm fighting. :?
I'll try to get some pics soon and let you know,

Take care,

Matt

The new 24 gallons are out now. They also have the same style optional stand as well as the old kind.

Back
Top Bottom