new nano no filter stocking levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's my 20 gallon nano I just setup. I went with a pretty minimalistic approach.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1475794190.440590.jpg

Here's my 40 breeder which I went with a 2 island look built up with lots of swimming room in the middleImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1475794239.244915.jpg it's a little hard to tell on the 40 because the corals literally have grown to cover most of the rock. It I hope hat gives a little bit of an idea

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have kept low level nano tanks for a couple years now - all low tech. Still learning a little all the time. As for an awesome and way too popular (which means now kinda expensive) anemone is the RFA -Rock Flower Anemone (Epicystis crucifer), aka Caribbean rock anemone and any assorment of similar names.

Here are some of the members jewels- these are great!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/rock-flower-anemones-334637.html

I'll probably stay away from anemones until maybe my next marine tank(s).

I've got the 15kg rock cycling
120ltr starfire tank
prime HD light
150w heater
3500ltr wave maker
HOB skimmer (to 90ltr)
Planning on adding about an inch of aragonite after cycling to reduce amount of initial algae growth in/on sand, soft corals to start with, a couple of snails, black ocellaris, one or two scooter blennies and a peppermint shrimp - at this stage - over a course of one to two months.

My biggest issue is the rock scaping, most of the pieces are smallish and I'm trying to create shelves with the flat pieces and a scalloped piece. Contemplating drilling holes and pinning some of them with either plastic rods or 'pond coat' covered bullet nails. Any thoughts? Is coral glue an option for rocks being held in place? I was looking at the magnet option for shelves off the back glass but the cost of strong enough N52 magnets was on par with a new canister filter... Simple makes a lot of sense with scaping, but I don't think I'm wired that way, most likely to spends hours, days, weeks trying to get what I want before settling for something that everyone else in the family likes except me ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes, I was told to use the acrylic rod and a diamond tip drill bit or something not sure /can't recall atm, but one which is made for rock/cement drilling Sniperhank may have mentioned it. Was planning on making a stacked tower in a column tank but just upgraded in size instead.

BTW - RFA are easy in an extablished tank. Not like BTA, and others needing tons of light. Just so you know a cool option - not intending to sound pushy. Your plan is fine. You should get /have what you like /want.

Skip the scooters, they'll starve in this size tank. They're dragonets not blennies and rely on pods to survive, this small of a tank would be wiped out fast by one scooter/mandi let alone 2

Skip the scooters, they'll starve in this size tank. They're dragonets not blennies and rely on pods to survive, this small of a tank would be wiped out fast by one scooter/mandi let alone 2

thanks. I understand the difference between the two but was told that the scooters will also feed off algae on the rocks if not enough other food. Glad i'm on AA! If i were to have 4-6 inch sand and a year or so down the track, would scooters cope given the extra volume? or are you saying that it is absolutely essential that i require a 6x2x2 tank with sump and refugium for christmas?.

Will always research a fish/plant and now coral and marine fish after i see and before i buy.

Those are fish that should simply remain in the ocean. Every time you see one 'pick' a rock, it's pod time. They eat thousands of pods a day. I was arrogant once and believed I could keep one alive...it took hundreds of dollars adding more pods to my 55 gallon reef to keep the guy fed and that is a ton more rock for the pods to hide and reproduce in than a nano tank.

Those are fish that should simply remain in the ocean. Every time you see one 'pick' a rock, it's pod time. They eat thousands of pods a day. I was arrogant once and believed I could keep one alive...it took hundreds of dollars adding more pods to my 55 gallon reef to keep the guy fed and that is a ton more rock for the pods to hide and reproduce in than a nano tank.

Thanks. Sounds like a couple of clowns, corals, snail and shrimp. Plants, aquascaping and water quality are my passion in FW, so the 'design' element of coral placement is what excites me with marine, clowns are for the family but I am excited about them, and I will get some kind of cleanup crew. Not sold on any livestock (apart from some kind of clown), so will ask both at LFS and here before purchase.

One of my favorites are the Nassarius aka Zombie snails. They are fun to watch, you can see some videos on youtube of their amazing appearance out of the sand to find food just seconds after you drop it in the tank.

The Mandarins are some of the MOST stunning fish - and I have yet to see a hobbyist be successful keepers - really sad. I wish I could have one too.

Keeping LR to stay where you want it is not fun! Used a couple of cable ties and the rest I've just hoped for the best. A couple of little tweaks on the loose ones later and I'll be happy. Very cloudy still due to not rinsing the sand ?...

Next time I set up a reef tank, lots of large pieces of rock, the majority of pieces I got are quite small. Hoping I've got plenty of perches for corals and plenty of hiding places.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1476306334.018538.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1476306355.238446.jpg

Just over a couple of weeks in to the cycle

NH3/40.25 ppm
NO20 ppm
NO340 ppm

Was expecting the ammonia to be gone with no nitrite and nitrates so high... Only using FW API kit so I understand that it isn't the most accurate.

Any thoughts on adding some tough corals and a few Nassarius snails with these readings? LFS suggested once ammonia is low, and nitrite has dropped from a spike, that these would be fine to add.

Also, in the absence of plants, is there anything that utilises or reduces nitrates (apart from water changes)? Thanks...

Thanks, was just going for functional with water flow and "visually balanced"... I prefer the cube...

If it's going to be FOWLR flow does not need to specific. Might want to make sure you don't have any dead spots though or at least identify where flow deposits detritus.
Can test multiple ways. Easy way to clean up i use is tying a few light weight beads to fishing line and dropping in the tank in several spots and see where they are dragged to. When done you have the other end of the fishing line to pull out the beads so nothing left in the tank.

If it's going to be FOWLR flow does not need to specific. Might want to make sure you don't have any dead spots though or at least identify where flow deposits detritus.
Can test multiple ways. Easy way to clean up i use is tying a few light weight beads to fishing line and dropping in the tank in several spots and see where they are dragged to. When done you have the other end of the fishing line to pull out the beads so nothing left in the tank.

Great idea. I've mucked around a bit with the angle of flow and detritus seems to keep on being moved along after a little rest... Will monitor after it is set up more.
It won't be a FOWLR, as it's the corals that I am excited about, the fish that come later are the trade off to allow me to get another tank.

Good gosh man get a filter on that sucker! [emoji23]

@bribo12 what lights you got on that 40? Those corals are INSANE!

it has a HOB, photo is a couple of hours after dropping in 10kg coral sand. perfectly clear now, only took about 8 hours to clear with the HOB with skimmer on.

Coolio bro

Back
Top Bottom