New nano reef build help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jfran

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have never owned a saltwater tank but have always been fascinated. I think I'm ready to try. I have a forty gallon tank but that is my current South American freshwater setup and so I am going to have to go nano for my first saltwater.

My size options are a 10 gallon with a horrible light so I'd have to get a new one or a 3 gallon with what I think is a better light (I'm not sure the exact specs but it's a fluorescent that came with the marine land eclipse 3). So based on size and lighting: let me know which I should use and what I need to do about lighting.

I understand that live sand and live rock with reverse osmosis water is the first step.

In terms of livestock, I have no idea what my limited space allows for.

In terms of supplies, I have no idea what I need.

Any advice you have in regards to anything is very welcome.

I'm assuming you want a reef setup. In both cases I think you're going to have to upgrade lighting. I'd do the 10 seeing you can do a bit more livestock wise

Yea, definitely go with a 10. You can easily put a clown and 1-2 other small fish in there.
Think about running a sump, maybe using the 3 gallon as a sump would still be a good idea, not a lot but the more water the better.
IMO it's easier than what people make it pout to be, especially just fish and live rock at first. Corals are a whole different story though.

I would love to have a reef if possible. But ok: start with fish and live rock.

I'm sorry but what exactly is a sump?

An additional body of water connected to the display tank. It can be used to house equipment to keep it out of the display. The additional water also assists in stabilizing things going on in the system...the solution is always dilution.

The way a sump works is basically bring water down from your display tank to a smaller tank, like Sniperhank said, with an overflow siphon. You can drill your tank for an overflow and insert a bulkhead or install an HOB overflow. With a 10 gallon, I would definitely go with an HOB because drilling might crack the glass because it is too thin.

So if I go with a HOB that is instead of using the 3 gal for the sump?

No, an HOB overflow. It basically sits on the back of the tank, like an HOB filter, but brings water down to the sump. Here's a basic diagram showing it. Doing your own research can also explain its of things (y)
img_3396953_0_c9b7e6ba66b863df46698fdc86a4d8ee.png

Very fair. I will do some additional research.

So the setup is decided. 10 gallon main with HOB to a 3 gallon sump.

For the the photosynthetic corals I'll be getting eventually, what light do I need?

In terms of water, how often do I do water changes because I know I would have to buy water because tap is advised against right? Can I use tap maybe to do evaporation topoffs? And then use to bought reverse osmosis water only for changes?

An there is no filter asides from the live rock/sand?

Basically I'm trying to figure out my shopping list so I can learn how much this will cost.

That depends on the type of corals you want. There is a wide range in difference on the needs of photosynthetic corals.
Weekly 10% water changes are best. You need to use the same water for both water changes and top offs. This is how you keep the unwanted elements out of your system.
You can use a filter on the system if you want to.

Update:
So due to my 18 yr old budget and the desire to have something easily brought along to a college dorm room in a few months, I had to go with the 3 gallon. I know I just heard an audible gasp.

Some may say it's not doable. Well I plan to prove y'all wrong. Please bear with me on this journey and don't go all preachy on me. I am new to SW and I know the more water the more stable and easier things are, but I'm gonna have to work with what I got.

Ok! Here's where we're at.

Hardware:
3 gallon Eclipse tank with filter.
Heater
Hydrometer
T5 light
Thermometer
2.6 pounds of live rock
Sea shells

Software (parameters):
Temp: 79 degrees F
SG: 1.0235
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: less than 5 ppm

Livestock (current):
1 emerald crab
1 nassirus snail
2 hermit crabs

Livestock (proposed):
1 shrimp of undetermined kind
Coral (far down the road)

Thoughts welcome!

I'd just wait and save up your funds. A nano or biocube would be nice for a dorm room and could actually house a fish compared to a 3 gallon. This hobby is all about patience, and might as well start off in that direction with a proper system.

Ppl do small tanks like that nowadays fine. You just have to be super careful not to overstock it. Your list seems fine so far

Couple of miscellaneous questions:
Is macro algae compatible with coral?
Should I do macro algae instead of coral because they help absorb nitrates?
Is it even possible to do macro in a nano like this?
Basically, macro or coral or both?

Back
Top Bottom