New Nano Tank...Now What?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarinaClown

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just set up a new JBJ 6 gallon nano tank for saltwater full LED version. It's been stocked with 10 pounds of live sand and man made live rock since yesterday. I ran water tests this morning. Ammonia 0, nitrates 0 nitrites 0 and PH is in ideal range also.
Question is what do I do now? When can I start adding the clean up crew and what should be their count limit for the size of my tank? Thanks!

Welcome to AA :) glad you found us here. Sounds like you are ready to begin your cycle which there are great articles on this site to help you along.

You need to add ammonia to your tank. Ideally drop a dead shrimp in there and let it roy for about 2 days and then do a water test... Basically you should first see an ammonia spike and then you should see a nitrate spike and a drop in ammonia..... This means that your beneficial bacteria is at work consuming the ammonia. After which you should work on dropping your nitrate levels.

Only once your water chemistry is back to normal should you look at a clean up crew. I generally keep my tanks for about 3 weeks in cycle mode before adding anything. Just keep running test that is the only way you will know once your cycle is done for sure.

Do not as your cuc until the ammonia/nitrite has come and gone. They'll probably just dissolve!

Ammonia has gone down to between 0 to .25, trates are at 20 and trites at 2.0. pH is 8.2. Hopefully another 3-5 days and its over.

Back
Top Bottom