new sump on 30 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greggles

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. I've just upgraded my 30 gal reef setup to hold a 6 gal sump in the cabinet with an overflow box (previously I was running the tank using an external canister filter for about a year.)

I've primarily done this just to hide equipment and just as a bit of a project to learn from. I have a skimmer that I'm going to set up in there asap. I've also have 5lbs of LR that I've just put in the bottom

Being a bit new to this, can anyone suggest what else I could do with the sump to make the most efficient use of the small space I have. Also, Does it need a sand bed in the main compartment? Should I just fill it with as much LR as I can afford?
Help would be appreciated..
Thanks

IMO the best thing about a sump is the ability to house chaeto, or other macro algaes. Those will consume nitrates, No sand is required, and if you don't have an ammonia or nitrite problems, then you already have enough rocks in your tank for your BB to live in.
Chaeto and perhaps some chaeto. Oh, if you have any room left over, consider chaeto.

Back
Top Bottom