New tank, might go reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Use a reef grade salt mix. With weekly water changes you should be able to have a pretty healthy reef without dosing.
Flow will be a challenge in this tank. Do you have any ideas on that?

Use a reef grade salt mix. With weekly water changes you should be able to have a pretty healthy reef without dosing.
Flow will be a challenge in this tank. Do you have any ideas on that?

I think I'm going to start with two powerheads and play with them until I can get good flow, and if I can't with two I will add a smaller third one. Just going to take my time and figure it out by trial and error. I'm in no rush to get this done, I would rather take my time and do it right! Any suggestions on placement? I was thinking one near the bottom and one more towards the middle, on opposite sides or on two sides that are one panel apart so that the flow would cross each other at an angle. In that case maybe another one would be a good idea to cover the area between the two.

Have any of you tried the refractometers on eBay? Found some in the $15-30 range and I'm wondering if they are any good.

I got mine from ebay and it works perfect. I also bought the calibration solution for like $5 to make sure it stays accurate. Marinedepot sells one with solution but its like $15 more than the ebay ones.

calcium, alkalinity and magnesium are all tied together. :) So testing for one isn't necessarily the best, you can have fine calcium and your magnesium could be way off. This is of course for a reef tank. If you have no corals then the basics are just fine. Phosphates is nice to have as well, but if you arent having any issues with the tank and algae then it can wait.

I use salifert for my calcium, magnesium and nitrates, they are very good and accurate. I use the hanna checkers for phosphates and alkalinity. I used to use all salifert until I got the hanna ones. Wish nitrates was a hanna checker, lol, I hate that test. lol

I agree with calcium and alkalinity testing for. And as always testing for anything is best. But for simplicity, as x said a bit ago with regular water changes your Element levels should be replenished considering you don't have a super packed reef

Anyone know if someone is setting up a group BRS buy in the next couple weeks? That would be a nice help for ordering some of my equipment, I think. I have also been browsing Drs Foster and Smith, and they have a sale on! Good timing for me!

The tank is here! It's a 20 gallon hex. And boy does it need a good cleaning, and possibly a resealing. It looks like some of the silicone is peeling a little. I've never done a resealing before. I'm going to leak test it before I do anything, but even if there are no leaks I would feel better resealing anyway because breaking it down later would be a pain in the butt.

I will post pics soon, but I just got home from work and I don't want to walk across the room to snap pictures at the moment.

Do you think it's worth it to use it? I mean, you could wait for the petco dollar a gallon sale and get a brand new tank cheap.

Do you think it's worth it to use it? I mean, you could wait for the petco dollar a gallon sale and get a brand new tank cheap.

I also have a 20 gallon tall I could use, I just like the look of the hex. Im probably going to decide which to use after I do the resealing.

I had a thought - do you think a small HOB filter set up as a refugium with macros would be a good idea? I'm thinking the single taotronics light I plan to buy should cast enough light to the filter to grow some basic macros.

Back
Top Bottom