New to Nanos.... right from the start...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wulfin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, i'm taking this right to the very start as i've read up a lot on it, but haven't really found the answer to my very simple questions...hehe.

I'm looking at buying one of the JBJ nano cubes.. either the 6gal or the 12. I know most people say that "bigger is better", and 6 gallons can make a huge differece, but considering i'm kind of in a space crunch, i'm more seriously looking at the smaller..but.. one thing will be the decider.

ANd that's what i can actually keep in the 12 as compared to the 6 (fish-wise). I know my selection for both is limited because of size..but.. i'm curious before i make any purchases :)

I'm not worried about time and maintenance..my planted fw requires mucho attention :)

I'm looking at buying one of the JBJ nano cubes.. either the 6gal or the 12. I know most people say that "bigger is better", and 6 gallons can make a huge differece
Yes...don't think of it as only adding 6 gallons of water...think of it as doubling your water volume. That is a big difference. In a 12gal, you should be able to squeeze in two small fish. The six gallon gives very few options and the space for only one fish.

I knew my first "stupid newb" question would come quickly..*grin*.. uhm.. i didn't think you could keep corals in a 12g? *bashes head*..LOL.

Okay, i'm pretty much sold on the 12g.. and it would look better in the space i have for it.. so i'm definitely going to go that way. Now to save up the $300 for the tank...lol. (yeah, i could buy one that's not an all-in-one unit and piece it together..but mine just never seem to look "as nice"...*shrug* :) Of course, then i have to decide between the nanocube and biocube..which from what i see .. they're pretty similar and it's personal preference really.

Sure...there are lots of coals that will fit nicely in the 12gal. However, if you are interested in adding some corals go with the 12gal deluxe model instead ofthe standard version. The deluxe versions come with more lighting and is much more appropriate for corals. here is a pic on my 12gal nanocube deluxe...

Attachments

• 12gal_nano_reef__06-05-05_585x438_199.jpg
    12gal_nano_reef__06-05-05_585x438_199.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 46
Nice, I like the skunk clown.

I have a ten gallon nano reef and a 20 gallon nano reef. The bigger the better especially if it's your first sw tank. They also make a 24 gallon AquaPod w/ 150 watt MH that would be great for a wide range of corals. You might want to look into that. Of course it is bigger, but I'm pretty sure you could find space for it. It's $330, $130 more then the 12 gallon Nano-Cube but I think it would be better for a first tank. Also you can keep more fish in there.

Space is an issue, so i think i'll stick with the 12 gals... i already have over 120 gals of fish tanks in my place..*laugh*.. so i know it'll be tougher trying a smaller one first..but i have good luck with the smaller systems it seems.. :S

The deluxe model sounds like a plan.i was trying to figure out the difference, and if it's lighting, that's a good enough reason to plan on the deluxe ;)

12 gallon Nano Cube Deluxe has 48 watts of pc lighting
12 gallon AquaPod comes in a 70watt MH

The MH would provide you more options on corals but of course it will be more expensive, $280 vice $200.

i really wish i could get US pricing.. cheapest i can find it other than ebay (ie, real retailer) is $430 for the Aquapod, minus shipping.

Not available locally unfortunately.

And if i ship from the US, i'll get hit with duty & gst which brings it to roughly the same amount. You have no idea how jealous i am :)

I am not sure how close you are to the US boarder, but perhaps you take a little trip if possible and buy it in the US.

Lance is correct. If you have intenstions of keeping a clam or any type of SPS corals, then the 70watt MH would be a good option.

Got around to taking an updated pic of my nano...this can show you the coral growth you can obtain with the extra lighting.

Attachments

• misc_065_585x438_123.jpg
    misc_065_585x438_123.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 23
Back
Top Bottom