New to reef/salt...HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gungud10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all, I'm new to this scene but so very interested. I need help and advice though so I wanna thank everyone in advance for your help.

So here it is, I have a 29 gal bio cube. I haven't even put water or anything in it. I have the protein skimmer and uv sterilizer in it as well. Before I get started I want to get as much info as possible so I don't make any costly mistakes.

I'm looking to eventually establish a thriving tank with both corals and fish. So if anyone has any suggestions as to which species are best for my situation let me know.

Also a step by step process as to what I need to do to get started would be great.

Thanks again everyone.

The first thing I would do is go over our SW articles section esp. the one on cycling. Once you get it cycling you`ll have a couple months to figure out a stocking plan.

Here's a good list for fish : Nano Fish

As for corals some softies/polyps, and LPS would be what you could keep, unfortunately the Biocube's lighting isn't too strong

Definitely read the stickies on how to cycle the tank first and foremost before adding any livestock, now that would be a costly mistake

Also I was looking into dwarf seahorses. Anyone have any thoughts?

Ok so I'm not comfortable with throwing a dead shrimp into my tank. I heard you can cycle it with just live rock and live sand and only takes about 2 weeks. Is that true?

Yes its true. You just have to cure the live rock first. The cycling process can take from 2-4 weeks.

-Dylan

I'd say more in the range of 4-6 weeks. If you can find pure ammonia with no surfactants (scents, dyes, soaps, etc.) then you can use that as well

Honestly the easiest way to go is raw shrimp. And I highly suggest it.

-Dylan

Either way you cycle it'll take around 2-4 weeks or longer. For the raw shrimp you have to wait for the shrimp to disintegrate which can take from 3-6 days.

-Dylan

Yes but there isn't really a point, because adding LR will add ammonia to the tank;henceforth starting the cycle.

-Dylan

I cycled my tank with str8 ammonia, LR and LS. I finished my cycle in a week. Alot depends on the quality fo your lr and sand. Mine came from a tank breakdown so I only went thru a mini cycle.

It stinks having to hurry up and wait but thats the deal. :)

carey said:
I cycled my tank with str8 ammonia, LR and LS. I finished my cycle in a week. Alot depends on the quality fo your lr and sand. Mine came from a tank breakdown so I only went thru a mini cycle.

It stinks having to hurry up and wait but thats the deal. :)

I was gunn a say a cycle in a week!? But then I saw that mini cycle. Waiting on a cycle is actually healthy for a new SW fish keeper. It teaches patience, and gives them time to research what fish to add to the tank. So just relax.

-Dylan

Back
Top Bottom