New to salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NyteGTI

Aquarium Advice FINatic
New to Salt so be gentle

I've searched in here and gotten a lot of good reviews on the JBJ 12G nano so I started looknig for one. I've finally found it on craigslist for 150$ with the stand and newly replaced bulbs so not bad.

I know patience is a virtue in fishkeeping but especially on the salty side. anything I'll need to do besides get the tank, mix up salt, let saltwater settle for 24 hours then get rock & let it cycle?

I'm looking at probably 8-10 lbs baserock and 5lbs live rock. This sound about right. Which would be better for the stock lighting LPS, SPS, softies? What works best in this tank? I have patience and understand this is going to be a lnog costly build, but I'm ok with it haha.

As far as fish go, I'm thinking about an ocellaris clown, a goby, a peppermint shrimp & a CUC. is this a viable setup for a 12?

Thanks for any help!

edit:
Forgot, I'm picking up the test kit this weekend along with the tank & substrate to monitor the levels

Last edited:
Hiya, welcome to the salty side. :)

To be completely honest, I wouldnt keep a clown in that size tank. Even the 14g biocubes are a tad too small in my opinion.

There are several nano fish that you COULD keep in there though so don't get discouraged. here is a link for the nano fish section at live aquaria

Nano Fish

If you have the space I would say to wait it out for a larger bio cube or a nano cube, preferably the 28 or 29 gallon size. Saltwater is a little tricky and the more water volume you have the easier it is.

Thanks for the advice Carey. I didn't have my heart set on a Clown persay but something with a little personality. any suggestions from the list of Nano fish. this tank will be going on my desk at home which is why Im starting out so small.
To make sure, I'll measure it out when I get home to see how much room I've got to work with. MAYBE I can put a 24 or 28 cube on there instead. the desk is sturdy enough for the weight, it just might be a space issue.

Back
Top Bottom