New to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ewan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have recently upgraded my 20 gallon freshwater to a 80 gallon and now I have the 20 left over. I was wondering what I need to make this tank into a reef tank, equipment, how to cycle, live stock, and everything else. Will be great full for all advice.

liverock, sand, power heads, filtration, salt, refractometer, heater, thermometer, good LEDs.

live stock id do couple occ clowns and maybe a small goby. have a small cuc of hermits and snails and a cleaner shrimp.

corals, start with easy ones like mushrooms, zoas, etc.

What filtration will I need (mechanical)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What filtration will I need (mechanical)

I have a 20 gallon reef and I just run a hob aqua clear 50 with chemi pure elite in it. No sponge

OK I think I have a hob filter somewhere. Does live rock do the biological filtration I thought I heard some one say that just out of interest

I will buy chemical pure elite thanks

Chemi damm auto spell

OK I think I have a hob filter somewhere. Does live rock do the biological filtration I thought I heard some one say that just out of interest

Yes the water flowing over/through your rock work is your main bio filtration.

OK good to know thanks

Do I wait to add live rock or is that part of the cycling process

OK thanks

I think I now know how to set it up

Just add mixed sw, then the rock, then the sand after the water is warm enough of course. Then throw the filter on, toss in a raw shrimp in mesh and let nature take its course :). Oh also add powerheads for current

OK. Will probably have t set up in a month

I have a 20 gallon reef and I just run a hob aqua clear 50 with chemi pure elite in it. No sponge

x2 on this, anything under 30g is a good low tech tank, hob filter, no skimmer, but an aquaticlife 115 skimmer is a good one for a 20g if your wanting corals eventually, and live rock and live sand, about a pound per gallon or more so 20lb of sand and 20-40lbs of live rock and water and your set. also a single or a pair of koralia 425s would be perfect for surface agitation and a good current to keep detritus material suspended for the hob to pickup and filter out.

x2 on this, anything under 30g is a good low tech tank, hob filter, no skimmer, but an aquaticlife 115 skimmer is a good one for a 20g if your wanting corals eventually, and live rock and live sand, about a pound per gallon or more so 20lb of sand and 20-40lbs of live rock and water and your set. also a single or a pair of koralia 425s would be perfect for surface agitation and a good current to keep detritus material suspended for the hob to pickup and filter out.

Oh I have a skimmer on my 20 but that's only because it's mostly sps. I agree though that You definitely don't need one for a 20. Weekly wc are just as good

Will t8 be any good for lighting just found a fixture in garage

OK I will invest in some

Back
Top Bottom