New to saltwater and nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karter151

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm looking to start my first reef aquarium and I want to start with a nano. I'm thinking 7-10gal (probably 10, I have an empty tank). Currently I'm hitting the books hard, reading "The Nano-Reef Handbook", but I also want some starting suggestions from some reef veterans. I'm obviously looking for beginner friendly species but also color vibrancy and maybe also something unique. Any suggestions regarding specific equipment for a nano would also be appreciated.. Thanks for any input!

Welcome to AA and glad you found us here :) first things first are you on a budget? Secondly there are great all in one systems that can sustain a reef making it much easier for a beginner which you may want to consider like the biocubes.

Thanks! I'm excited to get involved in this.

I'm not looking to break the bank but I understand the importance of spending more on quality equipment and livestock protection, so I'm not afraid to invest. Is biocube a classification of tank? I can't shake the image of one of those new "trendy/zen" style of tanks by fluval when I think biocube.

If you're referring to the oceanic biocube, that's quite a little system! I never realized there were saltwater starter kits. My only worry is tat the included components will be completely inadequate as they tend to be in a freshwater setup.

I don't have a Biocube, but have seen setups, an they're really nice. Even have seen LED light and moonlights that come with it. Fluval makes very good quality stuff. You should check it out.

You can upgrade them and do sps corals even.. convict2161 has a few threads that will give you all the info and has one of the nicest BCs I've seen. Search his name and read threw some of his threads and you'll probably want to go that route by the time your done lol

I also have a 10 gallon tank thats been cycling for about 3 weeks. i bought boxed salt water from petco and put live sand and about 15 lbs of live rock in it. it came with a feather duster and has lots of debri possible hitchhikers i hope to see down the road. i have a turbo snail and a regular looking black snail. i also have an emerald crab as well. i will keep updated on your post as well to help me with my build and tank. i am most likely going to do FOWLR but if i can add some anenome for my clowns i plan to buy maybe some other small coral when i get $ to get proper lighting. I wish you the best of luck on your tank !

Hey welcome!! If you go with the bio cube let us know!! Keep in mind there are 2 bio cubes now ONE has more mods and options then the other.

There's the Corallife Bio Cube and the Oceanic Bio Cube.

Last edited:
Convict2161 said:
Hey welcome!! If you go with the bio cube let us know!! Keep in mind there are 2 bio cubes now ONE has more mods and options then the other.

There's the Corallife Bio Cube and the Oceanic Bio Cube.

Which one has more mods and options? The oceanic or coralife?

InTank has made some good progress on the newer model. Here's the link.

Also the newer one has a hinged rear so when opening the good you don't have to take it competent off.

I briefly looked into the biocube and I'm glad I did. They're not getting good reviews (on amazon). Until you mentioned it, convict, I wasn't even aware I was looking at 2 different brands. The oceanic 14 is getting many less than stellar reviews. A lot of complaints regarding leaks, cooling fan noise, filter/skimmer issues, and overheating problems. all of which occuring over the course of the first 12 months. I was looking at your pictures, convict, and it looks like you're dealing with a heating issue too. Is that an auxiliary fan you've installed on top of one of your tanks?

The coralife biocube actually got two 5 out of 5 star ratings, problem is there are only 2 reviews and they're fairly recent so there's no way of knowing how they stand up to the test of time. I'm going to keep searching for reviews on these products but at this point, I'm not sold on either of them, especially the oceanic. I didn't look at the inTank brand, the link isn't displaying (maybe because I'm on the forum through my phone instead of computer). Thanks for all of the input guys, it's really appreciated.

Here is my oceanic biocube 29. Modded out though

image-114562760.jpg

Kinda old pic. But my thread has a new FTS

Convict2161 said:
You can do ALOT to these little tanks!!

Follow convict if you go with one. I learned most my stuff from him

22engine said:

+1.. all hail convinct, the BC master!! Lol ;)

22engine said:

Mrc8858 said:
+1.. all hail convinct, the BC master!! Lol ;)

Haha thanks guys but I can only give the advice, 22engine that's all you brother!! I just have my opinion lol.

Your all good at what you do.... Better yet. We're all GREAT at what we do!!

Back
Top Bottom