New to saltwater, need lots of help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YaBuddyHuddie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Good chance I'll be getting this tank around Christmas. I've already had tons of freshwater tanks and I'm finally ready to dive into saltwater (I think). I am well aware that it's supposedly the hardest task in the world to keep a nano reef especially as a beginner. But, I'm on a budget. And a space budget. This tank is really all I have room for and my funds are limited. I have no clue what this tank needs for filtration, lighting, anything. I need to learn from the ground up. So if anyone would like to be a saint, I'd greatly appreciate it. Just don't be harsh, please.

Attachments

• image-2383582068.jpg
    image-2383582068.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 71
  • image-2461523940.jpg
    image-2461523940.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 83
  • image-4090111844.jpg
    image-4090111844.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 65
Also not sure why I gave the screenshot of the LED information. Sorry.

Hardest tank in the world is probably a leafy sea horse tank, but nanos are somewhat hard as well. ;) do you want corals?

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Hardest tank in the world is probably a leafy sea horse tank, but nanos are somewhat hard as well. ;) do you want corals?

Indeed, I want a full blown reef.

Well a 5gal is basically a pico reef. Which is a really all nano reef. Can be a bit challanging. Also not Positive if those lights are reef capable. But basically what you want to do is buy R/O water or distilled and mix 'instant ocean' or a simalar product into the water in a bucket. Use a hydrometer to measure the salt level (salinity)
Should measure to 1.021- 1.026....
Place a sand substrate about an inch thick into the tank, and scoop some live rock at a LFS and place in the tank as well, with the water inside ofcourse. And let the filter run it for quite a while..
(not a bad idea to use small pieces of live rock in the filter as you filter media for the reason biological filtration is your primary source of filtration with most salt water aquariums.)

Using lights isnt a good idea during thos cycle for the reason algae could thrive in it... Test all the parameters in the water after a few weeks and if all test well, you are ready for a clean up crew! A clean up crew basically consists of hermit crabs, emerald crabs, and snails. They will keep the tank nice and clean with a low bioload as well! A week or 2 of the cleanup crew in the tank maybe consider a VERY small fish or an easy/hardy coral such as a small kenya tree or a small pulsing xeinia. Start slow and as you start to get the rythme down shoot for a bit more challanging coral such as a zoanthid or a frogspawn which are still quite easy.
And that should be the basics right there! Good luck happy reefing!

If I could restart my 12 gallon nano, I'd go for a 20 gallon! A 5 gallon is very much doable, but you are very limited to a lot of different things! I think a 20 gallon would be perfect! When it comes to funds, I'm sure you could get a 20 gallon tank with filter on Craigslist for cheap! And after that, you need to get lighting, live rock, sand etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if I were you, I'd go as big as I can for the space you have!

Evansimp said:
If I could restart my 12 gallon nano, I'd go for a 20 gallon! A 5 gallon is very much doable, but you are very limited to a lot of different things! I think a 20 gallon would be perfect! When it comes to funds, I'm sure you could get a 20 gallon tank with filter on Craigslist for cheap! And after that, you need to get lighting, live rock, sand etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if I were you, I'd go as big as I can for the space you have!

Problem is a 5 gallon is the absolute biggest I have space for.

Jacobsal91 said:
Well a 5gal is basically a pico reef. Which is a really all nano reef. Can be a bit challanging. Also not Positive if those lights are reef capable. But basically what you want to do is buy R/O water or distilled and mix 'instant ocean' or a simalar product into the water in a bucket. Use a hydrometer to measure the salt level (salinity)
Should measure to 1.021- 1.026....
Place a sand substrate about an inch thick into the tank, and scoop some live rock at a LFS and place in the tank as well, with the water inside ofcourse. And let the filter run it for quite a while..
(not a bad idea to use small pieces of live rock in the filter as you filter media for the reason biological filtration is your primary source of filtration with most salt water aquariums.)

Using lights isnt a good idea during thos cycle for the reason algae could thrive in it... Test all the parameters in the water after a few weeks and if all test well, you are ready for a clean up crew! A clean up crew basically consists of hermit crabs, emerald crabs, and snails. They will keep the tank nice and clean with a low bioload as well! A week or 2 of the cleanup crew in the tank maybe consider a VERY small fish or an easy/hardy coral such as a small kenya tree or a small pulsing xeinia. Start slow and as you start to get the rythme down shoot for a bit more challanging coral such as a zoanthid or a frogspawn which are still quite easy.
And that should be the basics right there! Good luck happy reefing!

Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom