New to the Hobby (Again) 10Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zero333

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So as the subject line somewhat states I am setting up my little 10 gal reef again. About 4 years ago I put together this small reef tank and it was coming along very strong. I over bio-loaded and immediately adjusted for it by giving away some of the residents (goby and Firefish). All in all I had some great corals thriving, clean up crew and a clown fish. The tank could not have been better. I then went on vacation for 2 weeks. My watchman for the tank did a less then perfect job to say the least. Upon my return I found dead animals and sick coral. I began to try to save my little ecosystem but eventually called it a total loss and turned everything off. What was left of my Live rock was donated to a friend's tank.

That being the case I have been bitten by the SW tank bug again. Did my research and have the following setup beginning its cycle as I type this.

-10 Gal Tank
-HOB 100gPh with some live rock rubble in there and a bio-wheel(should I get rid of the wheel?)
-50 watt heater (big enough?)
-power head, planning to get an additional
-CF lights creating 80watts
-about 8 pounds of Live rock (need to get more)
-20 pounds of live sand

Last night I set everything up so I am still in cloudy water and am very excited. But I am in dire need of your intellect again. I have began the cycling process and cannot wait to see my ammonia climb and return back to 0.

Now on for the questions. I ultimately want this tank to be more coral then live traditional live stock. What do you think would be a good starter coral once the time comes? (figure 3-4 weeks from now at the soonest) Also are there any inverts I should steer clear of when it come to snails/crabs/shrimp. I know my tank is tiny and I don't want to put in anything that will dominate or somewhat make it a poor place for the rest of my critters. Also as for fish I plan to have 1 maybe 2 but it would have to make sense for me to even get 2. I am more interested in a happy ecosystem then a packed tank. Any advice on fish.

All in all - I am starting the cycle again and am very excited. Now just give me your thoughts on what you think I should stock with.

I would go with zoas.... and maybe a clownfish... I always do a little research on anything I put into my tank before I get it.. That way I know whether it is reef safe or not.. Liveaquaria.com helps out alot. Thay give you a lot of information on corals, inverts and fish.
Good Luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom