Newbie:Nano question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inevitable_101

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone,

I am a new member here and had a newbie question.I am buying my first salt water tank and I have someone that is selling me a 12g nano DX.The tank is
Has been established for 1 year and has live rock and Hermit crabs.I have
Researched about cycling a new tank.My question is should I empty the tank
And start a cycling process from scratch or is it possible to maybe empty
some of the tank for transport and use what I have.The trip is about 20
minutes.So what are my options?Thanks in advanced.:)

Note:Sorry for the spacing I'm on my Iphone

Transport the live rock completely submerged in tank water, i use 5 gallon buckets. if you keep it quick, and you keep everything under water, you will keep most of your bacteria and i doubt you will have to recycle the tank. Make up some saltwater in advanced so you can start out with nice clean water. the cycle doesnt live in the water. Keep the aquarium closed while your transporting it, that will keep it somewhat moist.

Are you planning to move it with the sand in or are you starting fresh?

I agree with the above though I would not reuse the sand. Sand holds a lot of nasty things you don't want to deal with in a new tank. I would completely empty the tank, toss the sand and clean the glass/acrylic inside. (acrylic scratches easy so be careful, no chemicals) Make sure to keep that LR in water and for that purpose I would save all 12 gallons from the tank. Have a couple of buckets and empty the water into them. When you set it up with your fresh new sand put the water from the tank back in the tank and then do a series of water changes until you have replaced the 12 gallons with new salt water. (make sure to mix the new SW up for 24 hours before use) If you change the water like this over a few hours after the tank is set up you wont have any major issues.

**Also I've moved your thread to the nano section. You should get more information here.

Last edited:
It's 12 gallons...just empty half the water, pick it up, put it in your car, put cardboard (weighted down) over the top to keep water from splashing, and take home. The only precaution I would make is to lay the live rock on the sand so none can fall against the glass.

Agreed, I would also have some pre mixed water ready, in case you get a mini cycle.
Oh, welcome to AA!!

I agree with the above though I would not reuse the sand. Sand holds a lot of nasty things you don't want to deal with in a new tank. I would completely empty the tank, toss the sand and clean the glass/acrylic inside. (acrylic scratches easy so be careful, no chemicals) Make sure to keep that LR in water and for that purpose I would save all 12 gallons from the tank. Have a couple of buckets and empty the water into them. When you set it up with your fresh new sand put the water from the tank back in the tank and then do a series of water changes until you have replaced the 12 gallons with new salt water. (make sure to mix the new SW up for 24 hours before use) If you change the water like this over a few hours after the tank is set up you wont have any major issues.

**Also I've moved your thread to the nano section. You should get more information here.

Thanks Ziggy953 and everyone that has helped!

Just a couple of questions.
1.If I let the LR sit in the old water and I replace with new water and new sand just to keep it clean,would I have to cycle the tank all over?

2.What is recommended for cleaning the tank?I am aware that I cant use chemicals.What is the best way to clean it?

Just to update.I saw a 24g Nano at my lfs for $220 with stand and I couldn't pass this.So now I have a 24g nano and I have 20pounds of LR and 20 of live sand.I will keep
You guys updated with pics.I have cycled water from my lfs but I'm going to test it
Before I put any fish in.

Your cycle doesnt live in the water so you will need to cycle the tank before you can introduce fish. Give it some time and you will have a wonderful tank.Great to hear you have joined the hobby! I cant wait to see pictures!

Go for a fishless cycle, test your water often and wait for the spikes in ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. It will take anywhere up to a month to complete the nitrogen cycle. The water tests will tell you where you are in the process.

Your cycle doesnt live in the water so you will need to cycle the tank before you can introduce fish. Give it some time and you will have a wonderful tank.Great to hear you have joined the hobby! I cant wait to see pictures!

Go for a fishless cycle, test your water often and wait for the spikes in ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. It will take anywhere up to a month to complete the nitrogen cycle. The water tests will tell you where you are in the process.

Just want to reiterate what buddha_red said... regardless of what the fish store might have told you, their water is not "cycled". The bacteria will live in the rock and sand. There's no shortcut.

Here are a couple good articles...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/6/1/Ammonia-conversion-to-nitrate/Page1.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/3/1/Cycle-your-salt-tank/Page1.html

Somewhere I read that keeping the lights off and the temp in high 70- to low 80s would help speed up the process.Is this true ?any othere suggestions.I took another test last night and what I remember is that the Amonnia is up to 0.50 and No2 is up 0.50 that I recall.I will get the exact number up tonight.

leaving the lights off helps you with the dreaded algae during cycling. I kept my tank at 80.6 and did a fishless cycle. My cycle was 19 days, yours may be longer or shorter, keep testing and ask questions.

they are doing well, the cycts havent returned and they are eating well. I love watching them, they are cool. its a drag but i learned to seriously qt new fish. Luckily im about done with buying fish for my tank. Im going to go nano reef in the near future.

Update:01/01/09

Happy new years day!!

My tank was ready on monday 12/29/08 amonia and nitrates has gone done to zero and took the water to 2 lfs and they both said that it was ready.I bought a goldstripe maroon clownfish and I bought a anemone hermit crab and a purple sea slug.

img_937656_0_df79cfd12833d22d2e145ccb24162265.jpg

img_937656_1_e1fec889274fbcebac2423e997655423.jpg

Back
Top Bottom