Newbie Question re:cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brineyone

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I got a 15 gallon tank for Christmas. I read, read, read until the middle of Jan. Then I decided to start cycling. I added a dead shrimp and let it sit in the tank until it smelled. I only got 0.5ppm Ammonia reading. I took the shrimp goo out of the tank on husband's urging. Bought clear store ammonia. Tried adding the 5 drops per 10 gallons of water. Needed way more and only got ammonia reading to go up to 2 ppm for three consecutive days. Added no ammonia today. Readings:

Ammonia 0.5
Nitrites 2
Nitrates 80
salinity 1.022
temp 80

Question: Could my tank be mid-cycle? Should I still be adding ammonia or just waiting and checking the ammonia, and nitrites until they fall to zero. I have 20 lbs of live sand in there, but think I killed the live part when I mixed the water/salt in the aquarium. (newbie mistake, but at least I don't have any fish yet...) Any help would be appreciated!!

I personally would not add anymore ammonia. If you got it up to 2 ppm then that high enough. I would say your cycle does look like it`s in full stride but just wait till Ammonia and nitrites are at 0 and then do about a 40% PWC give or take wait a few days and then test again. You never did mention but is there any LR in the tank. BTW where are my manners. Welcome to AA

No I don't have any LR in the tank. Just sand and water...
I checked my pH and it is too high- 8.8. Will get some pH down today and possibly some rock.

After reading the hints page on cycling I turned my temp up to 87.
I will adjust the pH and keep checking.

It seems like I add ammonia and don't see a huge rise in ammonia levels...

My husband is sure this is a prelude to many dead fish, but I am just learning....

Dont worry about PH. It will bounce all around during the cycle. Once you `ve done your PWC after the cycle is over then worry about the PH. As far as your ammonia goes it went up to 2 ppm right? Looks like it went up to me.

More Newbie Questions re:live rock

This may seem like an idiot question, but live rock is just rock that has been colonized with good bacteria, correct? The reason I ask is that my husband bought me a really neat looking castle structure for my 15 gallon SW tank. It really does look cool, but I am afraid that I don't have much room left in the tank for any more rock. It is only 15 gallons and I did envision getting fish at some point. I don't think that I want any coral in my tank- just starting out and hopefully can keep fish living. Not ready to tackle anything that has to have perfect conditions... :rolleyes:

My question is: Will anything colonize that thing? Or should I really ditch it and get live rock?

I have attempted to include pictures of my set-up. Hopefully they will work!!

img_952157_0_dd8d2f638405840ffbe2dd6a278beea2.jpg

img_952157_1_158569f04e5affc5d1ae8eb2092991a4.jpg

Live rock - uh yeah

I posted a new thread about the live rock question. I have a castle-like structure thing. I was hoping that it would colonize into live rock...???

Last edited:
Are you asking if the nitrifying bacteria will colonize on your oranment just like it would LR? The answer is yes it will if that`s what you are asking.

Merged to your other thread. Lets keep them together so folks arent answering the same question twice.

Thanks, that was my question. I'm not planning on adding fish until end of March, so I have plenty of time to nurture nitrofication bacteria...

You mean b/c it will be covered in sea algae or that the live rock would be prettier in the tank in the long run?

Yep. it'll be covered with coraline algea. Soft algeas too. It'll turn different colors. I think the live rock will make you happier in the lung run and look more like a natural fish habitat.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom