newwwwwwwwbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zephyr

Aquarium Advice Freak
i've never tried a nano reef before, but now i have the time and money, i'd really like to give it a shot.

i've been on the site www.nano-reef.com and read through their articles,
it suggests natural filtration using living rock, living sand and powerheads to purify the water of ammoinia/nitrates (http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/?article=3)

this sounds fantastic, but also i wonder if it is sufficent..?
could anyone give me a hand?

i'm planning on a 10gallon, btw

If your planning on doing a ten gallon, then i would go ahead and just get the NanoCube Deluxe 12. It's rated at twelve gallons but the sump area in the back takes up about two so the actuall tank itself is about ten gallons. Also, live rock is the best filtration i've found along with live sand. With the nano-cube you wont have to have powerheads on either side of your tank because it already has one built into it. I've upgraded my powerhead and seen some better results but the stock pump is fine.

hard to say when i dont know... are there any local fish stores near where you live that ylu could go to and ask?

Order it off the internet, shipping might be expensive but check out marinedepot.com and check out the prices. HTH

Nano Cubes are great. If you can't find one though, a 10 gallon with alot of Liverock and circulation will suffice, yes. If you use tap water or want to house corals, I would reccomend a small skimmer as well. Many people run sw tanks with no mechanical filtration at all, simply powerheads, lr, and ls.

I live in Australia too, and I bought a similar model to the nanocubes. Its called a "Boyu"- not sure if its that trusted but seemed to work well for me. I know that in Melbourne all the LFS sell Jebo nano tanks.
I took out all the filter pads and bioballs and replaced them with LR and the tank is going well.
I also added an extra powerhead to help my corals and circulation.
HTH

you don't have to buy the nano cube, but if you are new to the hobby it is easier to buy one of those because they come with everything you need, for the most part, to keep most corals and small fish happy.

I have a pico tank that has only sand, live rock and a very small hang on filter that is only used to move the water around, I found it worked better than the mini-powerheads, and didn't take up room inside the 2 1/2 gallon tank. I keep the nano-heater and thermometer in the empty filter pad area of the hang-on filter - more room inside the tank again.

To date, I have kept one red-headed goby over two years in this tank. I have had green star polyps grow like crazy as well. Other corals do ok, some better than others. Seems to work very well for me, the goby, and the stars.

Oh, I would only use distilled or RO water for mixing salt and for top offs. Tanks this small won't cause you to go broke, and i have seen a lot less algae since I started doing this. My local tap water is very crappy, it had benzine in it at one point in time! Got a letter in the mail from the water department about it, but not before I killed a dozen fresh water angel fish when I moved in - instantly.

Back
Top Bottom