no luck with fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the tip on feeding.. got some frozen mysis and some frozen spirulina brine shrimp while I was out...

He (she?) took some right away.. not much... but some... better than the nothing he (she?) was eating before...

it burned your skin? that is so odd, because i mix my own salt water too and i do stick my hand in there sometimes to feel tempature right after mixing ( i dont throw it in my tank right away dont worry). But my arm never burns, not to say your skin could be alergic or something, does this happen with all salt water though? When i first got my clown he wouldnt eat for 4 days and his mouth hung open. Then he started eating and hes a horse and a bully and he nips me everytime i do maintance like a little bastard defending his home. I would check your water or salt for the matter, what burns you must fry them? I would like to hear an update about your main tank later

I have very sensitive skin... I've noticed that it burns every time I stick it in either tank now... guess it is just an allergy or irritation that built up over the last 5 weeks....

I do have a question.... when you get one clownfish... does it stay male or turn female??? :)

Clownfish are always born male. They stay male until they pair up, upon which the larger, dominant one will become the female. The same applies for groups of Clowns, there will be a dominant female and several males. Upon the death of the female one of the males would change gender to a female.

yep... guess that's good, since my 5 year old is set on his name being nemo... LOL. man that movie really got rid of any prospect of original names for clownfish huh?
.... although Im still trying to convince her to name the pair of skunk cleaner shrimp Fred and George Weasley lol

Something that stuck with me from an earlier post from you in this thread. What kinda media is in the QT tank? I know you said you used water from the main, and I think you said you havent't tested it since the goby was added.

Ya know that QT needs a sponge, rock, or something to keep the needed bacteria present.

I do have a question for anybody following this thread. Has anyone ever had a goby that had ick? Reason I'm asking is because I've had a goby live thru ick or velvet untouched by it. Also never QT'd any gobies I had and never had one get sick. I've noticed too that many lfs do not put gobies in the copper tanks when they arrive.

Just wonderin....

[minor thread drift]

I have a Yellow Clown Goby that I thought had ich, right after I introduced it into my main tank after a 4 week quarantine. It was doing what I considered "flashing" and seemed to be blotchy white on its body, like an overactive mucous coat. I *thought* I saw white specks, but wasn't sure. I put it back in the quarantine and treated it with hyposalinity. When I was researching treatment, I kind of remember running into an article that said gobies were more sensitive to copper treatment than other fish and you have to be even more careful than normal if treating gobies with copper. I think I'm remembering that right, and have the article bookmarked at home - I'll post it later today. That could be why you don't see them treated in LFSs with copper.

With the hyposalinity and an extra wait time, the fish was in the QT for another 8 weeks. I was waiting to see if anyone else in the main tank was going to have to joing him in the QT. No fish in the main tank showed any signs of disease at all. When the Goby was looking fine, I put him back into the main tank. Within a couple days, he was "flashing" again, and looked a little blotchy. Grr.

I decided to take a "wait and see" position and was happy to see the white condition on his body clear up. I also figured out that the "flashing" was just his way of kicking stuff up off the rocks and coral so he could eat it. I talked to a guy at one of my trusted LFSs, and he mentioned the same thing about the "flashing" - he'd seen that a lot and just considered it their method of forraging. He also commented that from his observations, Yellow Clown Gobies seemed to have "skin conditions" that kind of appeared to be velvet-like... but he equated them to stress. (They ARE high-strung little fish!)

Long rambling story short... the "skin condition" on my YCG eventually resolved itself, and no other fish have been sick in the tank. He still "flashes" to this day, but seems to be a healthy happy little guy. At the time, I thought it was ich or velvet. Looking back on it, I don't think it was either because no other fish showed any signs of disease.

[/ minor thread drift]

In the QT tank, I now have about 8-10 pounds of live rock ... along with a sponge and filter floss

when the goby died (and the blenny)... I had a sponge and filter floss... (I did several 50% water changes for 4 days in a row before I added the live rock.. I wanted to make sure that the medication from the ich treatment and anything in the tank was as gone as possible before I added the live rock. ... the clownfish seems quite happy now... he is eating like a pig... it was worrying me that he wanted to be at the top of the water ALL the time, right by the powerhead... but I think that's just "his spot"... I plan on continuing to watch him though..

His color is starting to look better too.. when I got him, he had almost no black showing, and he was this pale orange color... the black is starting to show, and the orange is starting to darken... (I didn't know their color could change like that)

Yeah Curt, I believe I've read similar articles about gobies having more slimy skin as opposed to the degree of scales on other fish and being sensitive to copper. I killed a panda goby once by QTing him in a copper treated tank. Since then I've never QT'd gobies. Maybe that dif in the skin is also the reason I've never seen one or heard of one with ick to date.

I probably should have just stuck mine in the display then.. :( I was trying to be safe... you know.. "better safe than sorry"... well... now I'm just sorry.

We all make mistakes. Glad to hear the clown is still improving. Fred and George lol. ;)

yeah... Im glad I havent killed anything else yet... it was REALLY bumming me out...

my husband has been getting REALLY mad at me whenever I use the garlic though... one drop is SOOOOO strong.. he hates that smell...I wouldnt be shocked if he found the garlic xtreme and tossed it.

Back
Top Bottom