Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Nano Reefs
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-27-2006, 09:54 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

thank you. It is an older pic from a few months back. I should try to get a more recent one taken...

Old 05-27-2006, 02:33 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to vsnsofadrgn
lando, thats a great idea to use the frags from the bigger tank to the smaller, i guess ill be doing that eventually, lol..... (hows the weather up there?) we got the pico up and running today, and have to wait for more lr til next week or the week after for the 20, but im still very excited.

hope dies last
vsnsofadrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:27 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

pics of my 24gallon nano

I took a few pics today of my 24gallon seahorse reef.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seahorse_152.jpg (108.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 24_gallon_nano_127.jpg (130.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 05-27-2006, 03:28 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
hows the weather up there?
Hot! This weekend is going to be 90 degrees and humid, but a wonderful holiday weekend indeed. Beats the cold rainy Memorial days of years past. Summer in MN is a beautiful thing
Old 05-27-2006, 03:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sea horse tank looks great!
Old 05-27-2006, 05:22 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

its HOT down here too... im not ready for it yet... have to stay inside jsut to breathe. i sure do miss those mn summers. i cant wait til we go for vacation!! i hope your holiday weekend is GREAT!

i love the seahorses too! (im drooling) i have a 20 gal that i need to cycle, boyfriend was goin to do a mantis shrimp, but ive been wanting/researching seahorses for 1 1/2 years!! so we are debating, lol. mmm, i wonder who will win...

hope dies last
Old 05-27-2006, 05:47 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

my guess says you if he's smart hehe
Old 05-28-2006, 01:00 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you do the seahorses a couple of things to remember -

1. must feed a couple of times a day
2. must have lots of pod-infested LR for them to hunt on - keeps their belly full and mind busy.
3. better luck with captive bred seahorse, the wild caught won't eat frozen food, they want live food
4. Your seahorses will die if you only feed them brine - train them to eat mysid. Brine shrimp have nearly zero nutritional value, even when "enhanced", mysid are very good for them.
5. don't buy seahorses from LFS if they are feeding them live brine - that only means they won't eat the frozen mysid shrimp and will not make it in your tank.
6. Don't buy a seahorse unless you see it eat frozen mysid. Just to make sure I am clear on this point.
7. Don't put any coral in there that will sting them, The corals in that tank are as follows: toadstool, kenya tree, yellow scroll, blue shroom, zoos, xenia, red and green macro algae, blue finger leather, and one very small frag of something that looks like a candycane, which will probably be moved soon. I have not seen any stinging sweepers on it, yet, but I am keeping an eye on that one. Stay clear of torch, bubble, frogspawn, plate, elegance corals and anenome. Anything that stings will hurt them.

All this info learned the hard way - I did a seahorse tank 1992-1993 and just started all over again 4 months ago.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:12 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackteck
my guess says you if he's smart hehe
i think youre right, LOL...

and thanks for the info about the seahorses, ive been researching them for 1 1/2 years now, and go to seahorse.org ALOT.... hehe. im ready now, so i just need some live rock and to get the tank cycled! yay

hope dies last
Old 05-29-2006, 01:04 PM   #20
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Mine is a 12 gallon hex that looks not unlike landos, but uses an Aquaclear 300 (set up as a fuge) for filtration, and a Corallife aqualight for lighting.....motile residents are a couple of shrimp and a bunch of small hermits.

www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com