No posts? Tell me about YOUR nano!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abnmojo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering how this salt forum could have thousands of posts but the nano at the bottom of the page zero? I have only been here a day and am going to change that!

nano tanks are the best bang for the buck. Sure, when we all start out we think we can just do all sorts of things with that brand new 55 gallon we want, but truth be told, a large nano 12-24 gallon is really better for our animals, if you put the right ones in there.

Think about it - a 55 gallon with salt, lights, pumps, sump, live rock, and fish can run thousands of $$$ if you go all out. The most expensive nano, the 24 gallon M-Tank with MH lights runs $400 - and that is lights, filter, everything except substrate, rock, salt and fish.

I have two nano tanks now - one really is a pico tank as it is 2 1/2 gallons. I have had four runnning at a time, and will get those back up and running soon. I just love them. You can put those tiny fish that get 'lost' in a 75 gallon tank (or worse, eaten) and they become the stars of the show. I have kept a red-headed goby who is now MAYBE one inch long for over 2 years in the 2 1/2 gallon. My 24 gallon reef looks nicer than my 100 gallon as far as corals are concerned, and except for a couple all were frags from the LFS that cost $5 or $10 each, not $30 and up.

If nothing else, a nano is a great place to get those frags growing to the size needed to hold their own in our large tanks. I have fragged many corals, placed the frags in my 2 1/2, then my 24, and then back into my 100 only to get fragged back by a hungry angelfish..... such is the hobby - you only learn when you make the mistake.

David

They just opened this forum in the last few days! And kudos to the admin for making this nano forum!
I love my 12 gal JBJ nano. It is a great tank to keep in my room, and I also agree with you abnmojo that Its a great place to grow out frags. Welcome to AA

im glad they made a nano section, too. i had a 20 and upgraded to a 55, but then the 20 was empty, and we cant have that, lol.. its waiting for lr at the moment, and i will also start a 2.5 pico for some sexy shrimp, YAY!!

Take note of the announcement in the news forum. This is a temporarly trial. If we dont feel there is enough traffic in this forum after 30 days it gets absolved back into the main parent forum.

I think I may like my nano even more then my large reef. It is a lot oof fun to look at and gets plenty of compliments from guests. They are amazed you can do so much with such a small tank.

I also have a 12gal JBJ Deluxe .... BUT unlike others here, I'm starting to dislike it. I have no problems with it, but there is only so much you can do with very little volume.
I recently upgraded my lights on the 29gal and started moving corals from the nano over to the 29gal.

I don't know what I will do with ut I think I may turn the nano into a Zoo Garden eventually, but right now it sits as is! I will say though that anyone looking for a great all-in-one tank .... the NanoCube sure hit's the spot!

its great to hear, that im not an only one who has a nano reef... mine is about 10 gal (33 liters)... most crazy thing is that every one keeps telling me, that its a dumb idea to keep a nano reef and that nothing will ever develop... today I saw a little worm on my live rock for first time... ITS ALIVE :)

They will develop. I've had mine going for about 7 months now (20 long). I get more enjoyment out of that than I do my 55.

Great idea to add a nano forum. Hope it sticks around for a while.

My nano is about a year and a half old now. I fragged most corals from my larger reef. It currently houses a sixline wrasse, a skunk clown, a small serpent star hitch-hiker), a blood shrimp, a skunk shrimp and two emeralds, plus various hermits and snails...

Attachments

• 12gal_nano_reef__06-05-05_585x438_143.jpg
    12gal_nano_reef__06-05-05_585x438_143.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 55
thank you. It is an older pic from a few months back. I should try to get a more recent one taken...

lando, thats a great idea to use the frags from the bigger tank to the smaller, i guess ill be doing that eventually, lol..... (hows the weather up there?) we got the pico up and running today, and have to wait for more lr til next week or the week after for the 20, but im still very excited.

pics of my 24gallon nano

I took a few pics today of my 24gallon seahorse reef.

Attachments

• 24_gallon_nano_127.jpg
    24_gallon_nano_127.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 36
  • seahorse_152.jpg
    seahorse_152.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 29
hows the weather up there?
Hot! This weekend is going to be 90 degrees and humid, but a wonderful holiday weekend indeed. Beats the cold rainy Memorial days of years past. Summer in MN is a beautiful thing :wink:

its HOT down here too... im not ready for it yet... have to stay inside jsut to breathe. i sure do miss those mn summers. i cant wait til we go for vacation!! i hope your holiday weekend is GREAT!

i love the seahorses too! (im drooling) i have a 20 gal that i need to cycle, boyfriend was goin to do a mantis shrimp, but ive been wanting/researching seahorses for 1 1/2 years!! so we are debating, lol. mmm, i wonder who will win...

If you do the seahorses a couple of things to remember -

1. must feed a couple of times a day
2. must have lots of pod-infested LR for them to hunt on - keeps their belly full and mind busy.
3. better luck with captive bred seahorse, the wild caught won't eat frozen food, they want live food
4. Your seahorses will die if you only feed them brine - train them to eat mysid. Brine shrimp have nearly zero nutritional value, even when "enhanced", mysid are very good for them.
5. don't buy seahorses from LFS if they are feeding them live brine - that only means they won't eat the frozen mysid shrimp and will not make it in your tank.
6. Don't buy a seahorse unless you see it eat frozen mysid. Just to make sure I am clear on this point.
7. Don't put any coral in there that will sting them, The corals in that tank are as follows: toadstool, kenya tree, yellow scroll, blue shroom, zoos, xenia, red and green macro algae, blue finger leather, and one very small frag of something that looks like a candycane, which will probably be moved soon. I have not seen any stinging sweepers on it, yet, but I am keeping an eye on that one. Stay clear of torch, bubble, frogspawn, plate, elegance corals and anenome. Anything that stings will hurt them.

All this info learned the hard way - I did a seahorse tank 1992-1993 and just started all over again 4 months ago.

hackteck said:
my guess says you if he's smart hehe

i think youre right, LOL...

and thanks for the info about the seahorses, ive been researching them for 1 1/2 years now, and go to seahorse.org ALOT.... hehe. im ready now, so i just need some live rock and to get the tank cycled! yay

Mine is a 12 gallon hex that looks not unlike landos, but uses an Aquaclear 300 (set up as a fuge) for filtration, and a Corallife aqualight for lighting.....motile residents are a couple of shrimp and a bunch of small hermits.

Back
Top Bottom