Nuvo 16g, Par38, Skimmer and some questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do less. The cardinal and chromis get a lot bigger than you think

Can I go with 2x Chromis instead of 4? Or I need to cut more?

Any other fish suggestion?

IMO 6 fish is way to many for a 16g aio. 3 maybe 4 depending on what you pick. Keep in mind you'll only have ~10 gallons in the display after sand and rock and the water in the filtration area.

IMO 6 fish is way to many for a 16g aio. 3 maybe 4 depending on what you pick. Keep in mind you'll only have ~10 gallons in the display after sand and rock and the water in the filtration area.

I think the op is doing a 38 now if I'm not mistaken?? 6 should be ok

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

List looks much better. :) It will be an easier bioload to deal with as well.

Not sure what skimmer you are referring to, do you have a link
?

I dont have personal experience with that one, but I do know cad makes quality products. :) It looks about right for a tank that size.

That first one would make an awesome reef tank IMO. The price tag is a little hefty though, you may want to check out piCo aquariums, Chris could make you a custom tank for cheaper than that most likely. And sumps and fuges are easy and cheap to DIY.

34g low iron glass + stand + skimmer + shipping will be 800$.
45g low iron glass + better stand, better skimmer + better refugium + refugium light + free shipping just about 260$ more.

But 1060$ + good LED (460$ Madspec Razor 120w or 430$ Aqua Illumination Hydra) is of course high. I need to check the LFS is the have a better bundle. But I absolutely want low iron glass. The difference is too big.

The only downside of this tank, it's not rimeless.

Do you know how leak proof this construction with the external refugium?
What happened if the power goes off?
It's easy to maintain it? What is the advantage of 30g refugium?

Thanks

For the lighting you probably wont get a better price as they are "map" items. The manufacturer demands that they be sold at a specific price with no discounting. If they do and they find out they can revoke permission to sell their lights. BUT a lfs might cheapen the bundle by lowering the price on another component of the system that they CAN mark down a bit.
Lighting is by far the most difficult decision in my opinion and experience. Make sure you do it right the first time or you will be throwing good money after bad.

Thanks

I read many reviews, Madspec Razor 120w seems to be very good light.

Hello again, I have some questions :)

1. Sump must be filled only a half? To prevent flood when power goes off?

2. So 30gal fuge holds 15g water?

3. What is the best or more secure Auto Top-Off system? Do I need to install it with sump?

4. Do I need a media reactor or just the macro algae will do the job? If I need it, what to put there? Biopellets? Charbon? Something else?

5. How about DSB, 6 inch? Do I need it? How about live rock?

6. I look on the picture of the sump with this tank:
Ok, first section is for skimmer, second and third for fuge, but what about 4 chamber? What to put there? Heater, ATO, Charbon? Or what?
45G Artisan II Shallow Reef System [ART-45G-PKG] - $1,069.99 : CAD Lights, Think outside the cube

7. Can I put macro algae above the live rock in the fuge?

8. What kind of lighting for 36x24x12? Maxspec Razor 120W or 160W?

9. One heater 200W or two 100W?

Thanks!

Yes, about halfway for the sump. The height of any baffles will define the water level.
I run a JBJ ATO with an aqualifter pump and love it.
You can run media along with a sump setup. I run GFO and Purigen in a dual reactor along with my refugium setup.
There is no need for a DSB in a refugium, more room for algae.
Yes skimmer in first section, you can put in any other stuff in there you want.
Your macro algae can be on a rock...mine isn't and it isn't necessary depending on the macro you put in there.
I have a simple clip on light on my refugium...but better the light better the growth.

Yes, about halfway for the sump. The height of any baffles will define the water level.
I run a JBJ ATO with an aqualifter pump and love it.
You can run media along with a sump setup. I run GFO and Purigen in a dual reactor along with my refugium setup.
There is no need for a DSB in a refugium, more room for algae.
Yes skimmer in first section, you can put in any other stuff in there you want.
Your macro algae can be on a rock...mine isn't and it isn't necessary depending on the macro you put in there.
I have a simple clip on light on my refugium...but better the light better the growth.

Thanks

What do I need for JBJ ATO? Something additional?

The Jbj ato is a controller and the aqua lifter is a small pump that won't burn out by pumping air if your reservoir empties while you're at work or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks

How about Powerhead for 36x24x12 tank?
One or two?
Jebao RW-4 Wireless Wavemaker - 130-1050 GPH
or
JBJ Ocean Stream 2 x 500 GPH Pump & Wavemaker Kit
or
1 or 2 Tunze Turbelle® nanostream® 6015 (476 GPH)

Thanks

1 inch of sand is OK?
What kind of sand? Fiji Pink won't cause sandstorm with powerhead? Maybe Special Grade?

Thanks again
I hope I'll buy everything in 2 months.

Back
Top Bottom