Obsessed - Now it's a 10g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

capj64

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm tearing down my 6g fluval edge because the lights went bad and has to be replaced. Since I have a few empty tanks, I decided that I would set up a small 10g reef for the Damselfish that was in the fluval.

So last night I cleaned the 10g and added 7g RO salt water at 1.024, then 20 lbs of pink fuji live sand (lol, but that's all the pet store had), several pieces of LR from my 29g (4 months old) which probably total about a pound. Added a small heater set so the water is at 80F. Then I put a HOB filter that I've had in my 29g for about 3 weeks, so that it would be ready for a QT if needed.

I'm picking up more LR here in a couple hours, which they have in their DT's at the LFS.

So with all this, what more do I need to do with the cycle? And since I'm using stuff that's already cured and "live", will it cycle?

I don't think you'll see much of a cycle. I would keep a check on the ammonia and nitrite, but I don't think you'll see much, if any of those....even if the live rock has any die off your established rock should have enough bacteria to handle it. :)

I've been thinking more about doing a nano....maybe when I buy a house I can find a spot for one.

Thanks. Just got home with the new LR. One piece is out of their DT and the other (13 lbs HUGE) piece is out of their LR "pond". Already know I have a hermit crab hitchhiker :)

Also picked up a T5HO light and a glass cover....and...a cleaner shrimp...and...I couldn't help myself, a Pom Pom Xenia frag!!!

Was just checking out my new LR and saw something that looked familiar, thanks to this forum...

DSC_0609.jpg

So I've put two peppermint shrimp in to save the day :)
DSC_0614.jpg

Here is my hitchhiker crab...Zebra?
DSC_0611.jpg

on your first picture is that what you are calling a xenia frag. i just started my first saltwater tank and have one of those on one of my rocks. i had seen it on here before when i was looking around and since i have found one in mine i was trying to find it again to see what it was

Oh, no that's not the Xenia it's Aiptasia Anemone - NOT Reef Safe...that's why I put two of my peppermint shrimp in the tank. Peppermints eat Aiptasia if it's small.

This is my Xenia...I was going to wait to take the picture when it was a little more happy to be home. I just put it in the tank.

DSC_0615.jpg

The light I bought today has a moonlight (oh, first I should say I put it on my 29g until my other light comes by UPS Tuesday).

How long does it take your fish to get used to the moonlight? My clown seems to be going crazy and won't go to bed.

How bright are the moonlights? You might want to try and diffuse them somehow at first if they are really freaking them out. Never heard of that though.

Hahah, I love the chaeto just floating about like that. :)

I tried that and it sank and wreaked havoc on the corals...It would come tumbling by and knock things off their platforms!

Let us know how the pep shrimp do with that aiptasia. They seem to be hit or miss, and I have some that need to go as well!

Matt

How bright are the moonlights? You might want to try and diffuse them somehow at first if they are really freaking them out. Never heard of that though.

I didn't think the moonlights were that bright. I left them on the first night and my clown (Dexter) did finally calm down but it took forever. I was afraid that he'd be all torn up in the morning for slamming himself on the rocks.

The light for my 20g came Monday instead of Tuesday so I switched the lights out last night and the moons on the newer light are a lot dimmer. There are only two LED's and it misses Dexter's cave completely so now he's a happy camper :) The brighter moons on the other light doesn't bother the damselfish (Damien) at all.

Hahah, I love the chaeto just floating about like that. :)

I tried that and it sank and wreaked havoc on the corals...It would come tumbling by and knock things off their platforms!

Let us know how the pep shrimp do with that aiptasia. They seem to be hit or miss, and I have some that need to go as well!

Matt

LOL, I wondered if anyone was going to say something about that ball of chaeto :) I only have it in there until I finish my sump. I didn't want to make another trip to the LFS that really isn't that local.

I moved the chaeto to my 29g so the peppermint would do their job and stop paying so much attention to the green ball. So far I still have every piece of aiptasia that was in there. Gonna give them a few more days then I'm ordering the "JoesJuice".

LOL, I wondered if anyone was going to say something about that ball of chaeto :) I only have it in there until I finish my sump. I didn't want to make another trip to the LFS that really isn't that local.

I moved the chaeto to my 29g so the peppermint would do their job and stop paying so much attention to the green ball. So far I still have every piece of aiptasia that was in there. Gonna give them a few more days then I'm ordering the "JoesJuice".

You can try boiling water or lemon juice as well.

I really under estimated my pepps, looks like all of the aiptasia is gone :) I'll keep any look out for more but I didn't any as of this morning. They must have gotten hungry last night because yesterday it looked like they were not touching it.

Back
Top Bottom