Oceanic 14 or 29 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTrav13

Aquarium Advice Activist
It's been 5 years since I've had an aquarium. I used to have a 55 gallon reef. I can't even remember the specs, that's how long it's been. I had to go off to college so I got rid of it. I'm looking to go smaller this time, and instead of buying all the parts separate I'm looking to buy something that has everything included. I was wondering if anyone on the forum has any suggestions on any "biocube" setups that are out there.

I'm looking to go 29 or 14 gallon reef, and by reef I mean I'm going to be going with a few polyps, some mushrooms, a condi anemone possibly a bubble tip until it gets too big, a pair of clowns, a blood shrimp, and possibly a marangue goby. I'm looking to spend about $300 dollars total on the tank with everything included, not the fish etc., that has everything included. I'm willing to buy a separate protein skimmer sometime down the road, but I'm going to be packing it with more than enough live rock to help out with filtration.

If you guys have heard anything about the Oceanic 14 or 29 Gallon Oceanic Biocube, NOT THE HQI (too expensive), please lend me your thoughts. And is the lighting going to be adequate enough for the polyps, anemones, etc.

The 29 gallon lighting specs are: 1 Coralife 10,000K 36Watt Compact Fluorescent lamp, 1 Coralife Actinic 36Watt Compact Fluorescent lamp, 3 3/4 Watt Lunar Blue, Moon Glow LED lights a

The 14 Gallon lighting specs are: (1) 24 watt True Actinic 03 Blue straight pin
(1) 24 watt 10,000K Daylight straight pin
(2) 0.75 watt Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED

I've also read that people have had problems with their ballasts and bulbs burning out with Oceanic's lighting, anyone else have a problem?

Thanks,
Travis

ive heard of this problem, but never seen anyone around here on AA have that problem. so idk, if you want an anemone you will have to wait quite a while before being able to add one, and if so you'll need to have stronger lighting than either of those biocubes offer

now the biocube hqi (only offered in 29 model) has strong lighting, but its more expensive, im not sure how much they run for though

besides size the tanks are essentially the same though

i just got a oceanic biocube 29 two days ago.i love the filtration and the lighting. although i took out the bioballs and added some chaeto.

also unless money limits you id suggest the 29, i have my 14 set up and have had it for about 10 months and i wish id picked the 29, easier to maintain and more room for more fish!

iDreamInSaltwater said:
also unless money limits you id suggest the 29, i have my 14 set up and have had it for about 10 months and i wish id picked the 29, easier to maintain and more room for more fish!

Do you know if I could add lights later down the road that would fit the 14 or 29? Also, do you have any pics of your 14? I'd love to see it.

i have had a 29 for 2 years. had 2 ballasts burn out and recently my LEDs blew . . its served me well but there has been some bumps in the road... also dont waste your money on their skimmer its junk

I really like your tank Corey! That's about what I'm trying to do to mine. Do u have any mods for your lighting? Is the stock lighting enough for the Xenia?

Back
Top Bottom