Oceanic BioCube 8 gallon nano!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is my birthday gift from my BF. I moved the contents of my 5.5 gallon nano into the BioCube last night, which unfortunately took about 5 hours.

The tank has PC lighting, one 18W 10k bulb, and one 18W actinic; plus, 2 built-in lunar lights. It's fan cooled, has external ballasts, and has separate switches for timers, which I plan to get soon. I went ahead and replaced the bio balls with LR rubble, but other than that am running the system with no modifications. The build quality of the tank seems really nice IMO. Here are some pics:

Zoo's
img_841316_0_78b84c9ea90cc72ca7eba44b8e293fad.jpg

img_841316_1_c079f54d7da625b00b02117cd0599849.jpg

Rhodactis
img_841316_2_ec0c697d715fb95ded0c6ed6a0f00a38.jpg

Leather
img_841316_3_ee57b9b3dfa0499f89cef109d53bca87.jpg

Full tank shots:

Both bulbs
img_841316_4_b221b17518725762163a81234e79c0e5.jpg

img_841316_5_04fede5e3c79d335f87fedecb4ff80ea.jpg

Actinics
img_841316_6_0196203ab1eb53ef3a4798be04a0be08.jpg

Lunar lighting
img_841316_7_804001a610d87c3c2e37b9853e4e1ea6.jpg

I'm excited to see how this will progress for me, although I'm holding off on new additions for a bit due to the move. The pics don't do it justice, especially the glow under the lunar lights!

What do you guys think?

I like it! Are you planning on a fish and some inverts?

Thanks guys!:)

I'm not too sure what my future plans are for the tank as far as fish... I may decide to do just shrimp and coral, as I'm not sure I have the room for a fish. I kept a clown goby in the 2.5 for a while, then upgraded to 5.5, but I lost him unfortunately. :( So I'm thinking I may not add fish... but as you know it is tempting lol. I can get bumblebee shrimp and sexy shrimp easily, so I am considering those. But since the tank was just moved, I will hold off on new additions for a bit. Most of the LR I have came out of the original 2.5, which I set up in April, but it has moved twice since then. How long would you all wait before adding more coral? And do you have any cool suggestions? I've been considering a small frogspawn, small fungia plate, small candy cane, and of course more zoo's!:) But other than that, are there any other cool corals that I'm forgetting?

I realize that the coral I just listed will outgrow the tank, but that's no problem for me. I'm about to purchase a 50 gallon (36x18"), get it drilled, and start a reef with it so I'll be able to move stuff over by the time it gets too large.

And BTW, I was under the impression that I have rhodactis mushrooms and not ricordeas- if I'm wrong about this then I got an INSANE deal on them, lol. I thought I didn't have enough light for actual ric's. As always, any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.:)

Nope those are rics /yumas care to share the weath LOL They look SPECTACULAR !!!Rics/yumas will usually adapt to many diffrent lights( rhodactis are in the same general family ) ... You could get away with 1 small fish like a goby , fire fish , or a small clown fish.... I would not put more than a clown and one small one in ... As for the corals they will out grow ,but you can frag them ....Plates are IME difficult and can move ...every thing else will be fine tho ... I have some true purple (yes they are really purple it is not the lighting ) Candy canes that I love .... it just split to 4 heads from the 2 that it had been .... I have 2 colonies of zoas for sale if you are looking for zoas (they are under PCs ....) I have them posted here in the classifieds they are about 5 inches or so ...

I think the tank looks great! All this came out of a 5.5 gallon? I love the color of those little button polyps (2nd pic). If I get inclined toward SW, I'm thinking of a cube setup too.

I think the tank looks great! All this came out of a 5.5 gallon? I love the color of those little button polyps (2nd pic). If I get inclined toward SW, I'm thinking of a cube setup too.
DO IT! come to the salty side :)

Here's an update, 6 days after the move. The leather looks a lot happier now- I've seen a lot of polyp extension lately.

img_842218_0_23e4dc95b5f4f2305baea9d6faadad9d.jpg

I tested the water yesterday.
SG= 1.025
pH= 8.0
ammonia= 0
nitrite= 0
nitrate= 10

Right after I snapped that pic, I did a water change, as I am looking to keep nitrate under 10.
wink.gif
I decided that the leather was too close to the top, so I moved it over a little bit. I'll post updated pics when the corals aren't so irritated about the water change, LOL.

Nice, what's the coral in the middle, nest to the leather?
Is that a bumble bee snail?

Roka those are rics/yumas ... and nice ones at that ... that she refuses to share :(

Hey guys, thanks! I couldn't get on last night for whatever reason....

Anyway, I've been told by an expert that the coral in the middle is a rhodactis species. I've been told by others that it is ricordia, so I guess I don't know lol. And yes, that is a bumblebee snail, actually I have 2. I've had them since the 2.5 gal in April.:) Is that a bad thing?

And Sadie- I have no problem sharing, ROFL!:) I just got them a couple weeks ago and at any rate, I don't know anything about fragging! I'm sure we could arrange a trade at some point in the future.:)

And I have fantastic news- I'm in the process of acclimating a frogspawn right now. I was advised that it would be safe to add since I've had most of the LR in various incarnations since April. I'm super psyched and I'll get pics up as soon as it looks normal, lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom